1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting new opportunity in September - can I still get paid for summer holidays?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by omega-squared, Mar 22, 2018.

1. omega-squared

omega-squared New commenter

I've been teaching in an FE college for nearly a couple of years on a permanent basis, meaning I receive an annual salary. For various reasons I have decided teaching is not right for me as a long-term career and I have been offered an opportunity elsewhere starting in September/October 2018 which is too good to pass up and I've decided to accept it.

If I am leaving teaching completely, is it possible for me to hand my notice in at such a time where I still receive pay for the summer holidays, or will an employer cut your pay off just before the summer holidays? I know on the TES website you can hand in your notice to terminate your employment as of the 31st of August but in FE colleges everything starts a week earlier.

2. omega-squared

Also, is it possible to resign at least 3 months in advance, or do you have to hand in your resignation 3 months before the last day of the summer break?

3. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

You could approach the HR department or equivalent at the college to find out where you stand. There must be a policy in place in relation to such circumstances. Otherwise, what does it say on your contract?

border_walker and install like this.
  4. omega-squared

Three months notice. I was thinking of handing in my notice officially in the fourth week of May so that I still receive pay until 22nd August.

install likes this.
  5. Ljay279

Ljay279 New commenter

I will hopefully be moving jobs for September to a perm teaching role (that's the plan) and I know I pretty much wont be paid from my current school despite being under contract there.

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Notice periods in contracts are normally minimums. You must give your notice not less than 3 months in advance, not that you have to give it exactly 3 months in advance. But check the specific wording of your contract. Employers usually welcome longer than the minimum notice as it gives them more time to recruit a replacement.

sabrinakat and border_walker like this.
  7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Sorry, what do you mean by 'despite being under contract'? If they end a contract, they have to give you contractural notice; otherwise they need to pay you until the end of it. If it is under Burgundy Book, and there is nothing in your contract which allows it to be terminated early, then you should get paid until 31 August. If not, it is whatever your contract says.

border_walker likes this.
  8. install

install Star commenter

Sounds right to me in my experience. Simply check with hr about pay.

9. omega-squared

I figured that employers will appreciate longer notice than the minimum given in the contract to give them more time to find a replacement. However, my worry is that if I tell my boss that I do not plan to continue next academic year, that they might give me 3 months notice earlier which would limit the amount of possible pay I could get during the summer break.

If I tell my HoF after the Easter break that I am not working at the college next year, would he likely accept if I formally hand my notice in mid-May (if I tell him I will hand it in closer to the end of the year) or will he accept my spoken word as effective notice and then end my contract effective 3 months after I tell him?

10. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Until you have been there for 2 years, I suppose your employer could give you notice to leave earlier. After that, you could claim for unfair dismissal. Also, does you 3 month notice period apply at any time. For teachers under the Burgundy Book, you can give or receive 2 months notice to finish on April 30 or December 31, or 3 months notice to finish on August 31. This means that schools can't avoid paying you for the holiday. Does your contract say anything like this?

11. omega-squared

My contract says, "After completion of the probationary period you may terminate your employment at any time by giving the college three months notice in writing. After completion of the probationary period the college may terminate your employment at any time by giving you in writing whichever is the greater of three months' notice; or one week's motice for each year of service, up to a maximum of twelve weeks' notice."

I'm not sure if there is any reference to the Burgundy Book or if this applies to colleges as well as schools. So there is no obvious reference along the lines of what you were describing.

Idea: I was thinking of telling my HoF informally straight after the Easter holidays about the opportunity I will be embarking upon, and that I plan to officially hand in my notice at the May half term so that I can complete all responsibilities up until the very end of the year and to give him time to find a replacement. Does this sound like a good idea?

Piranha likes this.
  12. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Burgundy Book applies only to Local Authority schools, not colleges.

Your plan sounds like a good one.

Pomza and border_walker like this.
  13. omega-squared

Okay. My only worry is that if I tell my HoF that I am leaving before I hand in my notice in writing, he might accept my word as notice rather than a letter I plan to give him later. How likely is this to happen? I was thinking of telling him after Easter to be nice and to give him plenty of time but is there any risk of this backfiring?

14. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Not knowing your HoF, we cannot say. I doubt if many people would be as mean as this, but we can't say for sure that your one won't. When did you start work there? Once you have two years under you belt, you have protection against unfair dismissal.

15. omega-squared

Well that's the thing. I am coming to the end of my second year. Perhaps it may be best simply to wait until just before May half term to hand in my notice both verbally and in writing.

16. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Yes, you said that before, and I took it that it might mean the second year elapses before August. That is why I asked.

17. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Can't you just resign when you go back and give August 31st as your end date?

It is highly unlikely that your college will then give you notice to end sooner.

Pomza likes this.
  18. omega-squared

I was thinking along the lines of that originally, but I seem to be hearing conflicting advice on that. Purely out of courtesy I was thinking of telling them as soon as I got back (and then just say I will hand in my notice effective 21st May), but my contract says that either the college gives me 3 months notice in writing or I give them 3 months notice in writing.

I am also a bit conscious about my student survey results - which last year were not very good and they haven't improved significantly this year. I hope my boss doesn't then look and think about giving me notice anyway because of a lack of improvement. Not that it matters when I leave, but it's sitting in the back of my mind.

19. omega-squared

I started work on 25th August a couple of years ago, if that helps. Does this make a difference to the advice you would give?

20. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

But this isn't unusual in a contract. It doesn't mean that if you give them four months, they then turn round and give you three months and get rid of you a month earlier. It just means they have to give you three months notice as a minimum, same as you do them.
    Well I assume this could happen, but if your HOD or similar has already seen these, then they would have already given you notice surely? Whether or not you give notice shouldn't really make a difference.

If it worries you, then just keep silent about your intentions until 31st May and hand your notice in on that date, with an end date of 31st August. But I honestly think you are worrying over nothing.

And, obviously, hope your HOD hasn't seen this thread!