1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting my Primary NQT a quarter of the way through the year with a very difficult class.

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by rcbet, Jan 12, 2011.

1. rcbet

rcbet New commenter

Hi everyone,

After a lapse in confidence, ability, sense and much more I spent a few days trawling TES and speaking to friends and can only thank everyone for their generous support and advice. It really is a unique community to be part of.

Now I have battled personally within my head and came out on top wanting to fight and go for it I wanted to ask for a little more advice. My earlier post discussed how I am taking a very troublesome and volatile class from a wonderful and inspirational teacher who has worked wonders with the class yet still has a constant battle every other minute to keep a lid on the behaviour of a third of the class.

January we are working together ( I am taking lead role as of next week) and then she will leave and I will be their only teacher. Ofcourse children struggle with change and structure and I fear that with this class it is even more apparent. Can anyone give me any tips and advice that they think might be very important taking on a class at such a time in this way.

They already do not respond to me like they do their current teacher (which is understandable as she has built up a relationship with them and is incredibly positive and happy with them).

Lots of advice or thoughts are really really appreciated.

kind regards

A willing guy ready to go for it