1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting my NQT year in September with Year 1

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by chlozza_badger, May 31, 2011.

1. Hi everyone!

I've just accepted my first teaching job in Year 1 and my family have been asking me if there is anything they can buy for me for my first classroom. Can anyone recommend things I might need?

I've seen loads of different classrooms during my training and have a few ideas about what I'd like to put in my classroom, but also wanted to know if anyone had any other good ideas?

Also, can anyone recommend any good books for me to buy? I haven't taught year 1 before so am a bit wary of which ones to buy as I don't want them to be babyish nor too advanced.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Firstly, congrats on the job! I teach reception but in terms of general things to buy:

I bought a set of the jolly phonics sounds as a wall freize. I stuck it up all around the room, which was helpful for the children but also to us during our phonics lessons :)
    I would speak to your school before buying things as they have it for you already and you'd save the money! :)

3. I bought a selection of interesting pens ( football, dinosaur, light up, feather, people, animal etc) that are only used for the register. I then ask a child who is sitting 'beautifully' to choose the pen for the register. This has worked amazingly well: I expected the novelty to wear of but they have kept it up all year and now bring me pens as presents which is really sweet. Also I was given a large bear and on class swop day he was there in school uniform and joined the class as a new but a little worried new bear. At the start of term he was 'looked after' by anyone who had difficulty saying goodbye to mum or dad and this seemed to help.. The children also named him.
    Good luck with your class I always thought I wanted to teach Year 5/6 but have loved my first year with Year 1 it's a fab age.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Sod books!

Have a fairly large 'special teddy' that lives on your desk and is used when children are upset as a comfort.
    You will also need masses and masses of stickers. PTS is the best place I've found.
    I also get for my birthday every year (fortunately very early in Sept!) a large set of coloured whiteboard pens. I think there are 16 or something. Only I use them, but they are great and much nicer than just using black.

Go to 'The Book People' and choose any books suitable for age 5-7. A few a little challenging is no bad thing and choose ones you will read to them anyway, so no matter.

Other than that wait until you know what you will be teaching. There are millions of fabulous books and resources that can take all your money, but no sense buying them until you know they will be useful. If you can get others to buy them for you as pressies so much the better,

5. I love this idea! :) A trip to Ikea might be in order!

6. Thank you all for all your help :) I'll keep you updated how I get on, I have my first INSET tomorrow! :D

7. Hope goes well :) Have enjoyed my NQT year in Year 1. Happy to answer questions if you think of any more.