1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

starting job with different holidays

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by marymoocow, Jan 16, 2011.

1. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I am in the process of applying for a job with a school in a different authority. I have just noticed that whilst my Easter hols start 11th April and I return the day after bank hol mon, the school I am applying for starts 1st April and returns 18th. The start date to start is therefore 18th April. What happens then with my holiday entitlement? Will I lose a week? When does my contract with my present school finish? I have the added complication that I have a holiday booked and paid for in the week I am supposed to start at the new school. Can I put my start date as the week after or is it tough I can't apply? Thanks

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Almost certainly. Many years ago I moved LEAs over the Summer and 'lost' a week whilst someone I knew going the other way gained a week...
    I would tell them when (If) they offer you the job...

3. If you got the new job your contract would finish on 17th April and you would be expected to start on 18th April.
    If you want to move you would have to cancel the holiday. Asking for the first week off so you can enjoy a holiday would create a very good first impression !