1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting IVF-anyone else Been through this?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by primaryconcern, Oct 5, 2019.

1. primaryconcern

primaryconcern New commenter

Hello everyone,

So i have posted on here before and had really kind responses-thanks to everyone that replied last time.

I’ve been trying to conceive for almost three years now. My husband and I have been for all of the tests and found out that I have good quality eggs and more of them than expected for my age (35) and despite previous tests, my husband has no problems either. We are entitled to one cycle of IVF on the NHS and will be starting next week.

Has anyone else been through IVF whilst employed full time at a primary school? Not sure how I’ll justify the number of appointments, time off, etc. Not to mention the hormones!

Any advice or tips? Thanks for reading xx

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Lead commenter

my "baby" is in their final year of university.

good luck xxxxxxx

primaryconcern likes this.
  3. primaryconcern

Oh wow! Sounds like your baby is a talented one! Thank you for replying, I really appreciate it :)xxxxxx

Corvuscorax likes this.
  4. SammyBear2016

SammyBear2016 Occasional commenter

No experience with IVF i'm afraid but what i would say is take the time off that you need and don't feel guilty about it. You could always discuss with your head now the process moving forward and what time you are likely to need.

I wish you all the best x

5. primaryconcern

Thank you for being so kind, it’s much appreciated :) x

6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Yes, I've had IVF whilst teaching, but in a secondary school.
    I don't check this board often, so send me a private message if I can help.

Good luck!

7. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

I had IVF as a full time teacher. I had to be very honest with my head, who was thankfully supportive. The process is incredibly time-specific - the days you have to go in for scans etc are totally based on your physical needs, eg. Thickness of your womb, so you can’t just say ‘sorry, I have an assembly to do, can we make it next week?’! I deliberately scheduled as many appointments as possible for first thing in the morning, so the only cover I needed was registration and assembly... I was generally in by 10. It’s totally doable but you do need a head who will understand your needs (although I think legally they have to accommodate you, we all know this isn’t always so simple). Good luck with everything x

8. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

Oh and by the way - we were in a very similar position - no discernible problems with either eggs or sperm. We did one round of IVF which failed because nothing fertilised, then the next time we did ICSI, where they physically force the sperm into the egg - and it worked! If at all possible, especially as you only get one round funded by the NHS, push for ICSI rather than IVF. I was 36 when I had my first child, then I had another from a frozen embryo when I was 38. Wishing you the best of luck x

9. CCEnglish12

CCEnglish12 New commenter

Hi, I had IVF last year at 29 whilst working full time, (Secondary English teacher). I kept it fairly discrete as I'd gotten very anxious and started having panic attacks due to the stress of it all and felt for me it was more of a private matter. However, I made the Head aware I was having some health issues- I have lupus and arthritis which the school are aware of but to progress for IVF I had to undergo several invasive procedures under GA to rule everything out. Eventually, we were diagnosed as unexplained and as we'd been trying for nearly 3 years we got given the go ahead for one funded IVF cycle. Fortunately, it worked on our 1st go with our only viable 5 day blasto (we had a good numbers of eggs and fertilisation but only 3 got to the 5 day stage and they felt the other 2 wouldn't survive the thaw if frozen so we had none to use if it failed) and we have been blessed with a beautiful baby girl, now nearly 8 months old. It was only after my pregnancy was confirmed as progressing well I felt confident enough to inform my HOD who I also consider a good friend about what had happened and although surprised to hear of our troubles as it seemed most of the people I work with get pregnant just at the thought of having a baby and are very open at announcing to fellow members of staff if they're "trying" and I didn't want to dampen anyone else's joy or make things awkward by letting others know of our situation. I then informed the Head and although I still haven't told her the full details I think she knows enough to know it was hard and has been very supportive and kind. To be honest, as most of the things I had done prior to IVF were out of school hours no one really batted an eyelid. I'd say knowing what I know now I would have been more open about it.

Once you start it's fairly easy and most can be done outside working hours i.e. injections and drugs are normally morning and evening. I wasn't affected too badly hormone wise and I was fortunate not to get badly hit by side effects which are mainly headaches and sickness. Most my scanning appointments for tracking the lining were early morning so if your work place isn't too far you could have a morning off rather than a whole day. You do get bad bruises but numbing the area with an ice cube before injecting stops this getting too bad. I was given clexane injections and baby asprin as part of my long protocol as one of my doctors had a feeling we might have an implantation issue due to my lupus although this was never confirmed. Make sure you drink lots of water too and I also did a high protein diet, whether this helped I have no idea but it made me feel better health wise. If you like, feel free to message me and also join the fertility network as this was such a great support group for me especially as no one in either of our families had been through fertility treatment before. Good luck x