1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting ITT - Planning help!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by cc_92, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Hi there,

I am currently a TA in a year 2 class, i am starting a SCITT course within the next year. I have major problems with planning, i just dont get how to do it effectively?! I can plan if the teacher asks me to think of ideas to cover a certain learning objective and have LOADS of ideas BUT where do you start when you're on your own? How do you know what bits of the curriculum to cover when? Im trying to get a bit of a head start for my course as i know they will cover this, Any advice on where to start and how to organise the plans would be brilliant.

Thank you.

2. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Your ITT training programme will teach you how to do all of this.

3. Gerbils150

Gerbils150 New commenter

Having just finished a SCITT course, we weren't given any formal tuition on planning and differentiation until Christmas - a tad late! Take advice from your mentor, your placement teachers and your student peers who may be in different schools and have different experiences to share. Each school will plan differently and will use different terminology - WALT, LO, WILT, WAGOLL etc etc. Ask to see the planning by your placement teacher (admittedly that won't be at the same level of detail that students are expected to do on daily plans) however that will give you some insight. Keep asking questions. The only book I'd suggest at this stage would be Cremin (Learning to teach in the primary school). Once I'd started my course I didn't get much time to read properly but what I did read was very helpful. Don't think you need to be an expert in planning from day 1. As Mandala1 said, the training programme will teach you much of what you need to know however you as a student will need to help that process by observing, questioning and reflecting.

4. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

Your course will help you how to do it, but you have a head start having already spent time in schools.

Your should should have medium/long term plans that you can work from as the big framework (well all good schools I'v worked in have - I know many schools don't though). When it comes to planning, get into good habits. It doesn't matter if you plan the most amazingly original lesson in the world if it takes you 3 hours to plan and resource it. Try to speak to staff and gather tips for good activities that aid progress but without being too time consuming.

It's easy to spend your training year trying to be completely original and the next best thing, but there's a danger that it's unsustainable once you get into a full time post in your NQT year.