1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting in September

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by singinintherain, Apr 9, 2012.

1. singinintherain

singinintherain New commenter

Yay! After a hellish year completing my GTP last year, I have decided to do my NQT and make it utterly amazing and kick ass. I've found a perfect school that I'll be starting at in September.
    I just have some general questions about what I should do to prepare. This is in relation to the GTC and joining a union.
    Any advice welcome, as I don't really have an idea [​IMG]
    Thanks!

2. jaimexuk

jaimexuk New commenter

I'm with you. I emailed my uni tutor the other day as I have no idea how to go about choosing a union. Whilst I do not expect him to tell me which union to join, I need guidance as to what I should be looking out for when seeking membership.

3. Hi,
    You have to register with the GTC after completeing your training, but now the GTC has been abolished so you will probably have to register wiht the Teaching Agency, as it is now known (though this is a different organisation to replace the GTC). Maybe Google it for contact number?
    Re unions, it's completely up to you. I am with the NUT - be aware that they tend to strike a lot! I know a lot of teachers in the NASUWT though and this is generally a good one to go with. You could visit their websites - ATL is another - and see which one best fits your needs.

Good luck both in you careers!

4. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

Unions are often much of a muchness and as an NQT you get subscription rates that are virtually free. No matter which one you join, whether or not you take any action (striking, etc.) is completely up to you (although in the old union rule book, if your union calls a ballot and decides on action you should follow suit to support your colleagues). With this in mind the best advice is usually to find out which union has the largest membership at your school and join that one. What you will need most from your union is a good union rep who will successfully negotiate/fight for you should any issues arise.

5. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

On the point of unions, I'm personally a big fan of ATL. Having been members of all three teaching unions and approaching all three with a problem (the same problem) it was only ATL that were really of any help to me. They also have a lot of CPD events and things like that. Just my two pennies worth.

6. MrGator

MrGator New commenter

During my NQT year I was a member of all three big ones - NUT, ATL and NASUWT, taking advantage of the £1 / free subscriptions.

Following on from that, I opted for the ATL. As previously mentioned, they provide a lot of CPD opportunities and have an arrangement with Edge Hill University to sponsor you for 2/3 of an MA in Education.

Take no notice of mrknowf**kall and his waste-of-time blog post. I can only assume the poster is a failed/failing teacher, who rather than either trying to help himself or accept teaching isn't right for them, wants to bring others down to his level. Poor form on his part.

7. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I've actually just started the MA that ATL offer through Edge Hill and because my PGCE gives me 60 credits, I get a free MA because of ATL!

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

once out of the free Union subs (or minimal £1 subs) remember to claim tax relief on your subs.
    Witht he ATL, you can save paying tax on nine tenths of the fee; witht he NUT, you save paying tax on two thirds of theire fee.
    You'd need to ask the other Unions what thier tax offset fraction is.
    You write to the tax office with your NI number and tell them the fee you pay in each tax year and the fraction eligible for tax relief. They adjust your tax code or rebate you for what you cliam for past tax years (you can go back 6 years).
    If you've paid a GTC fee since qualifying, you can also claim tax relief on that. Again, simply inform your tax office.

9. singinintherain

singinintherain New commenter

Thanks for all of your info. Looking into it now and it's making more sense!