1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting in a new school

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Karvol, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Pretty much the usual.
    Relax, go with the flow, make sure your classes are prepared ( the most important thing ) and don't try and do too much too soon.
    One other thing, keep your mouth shut when it comes to gossip. Obviously I am not saying that you are the type to gossip, but the quickest way to end up as "billy-no-mates" in my school is by gossiping about things you know nothing about.
    Hmm. I think that is it. There is one other, but there are two schools of thought on this one. My personal opinion is to keep quiet in discussions unless you really know what you are talking about for the first 6 months or so. Others believe that you should speak your mind. I think what you say is listened to more if people know that you have expertise and are not the sort to offer an opinion on everything.
    Good luck though.

2. If you have something genuinely interesting to say then say it. If not then keep quiet.

Maybe this post is an example of a time when I should have kept quiet.

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

[​IMG]

4. On the whole keep quiet or speak up thing- me and another girl started at my school at the same time she was of the keep quiet for first few months and I was Miss Gobby from the off- 6 months later she had become to used to saying nothing and eventually stopped coming as she felt she had no-one to talk to and I had my own chair lol.
    Its all about whether you want to attempt friendships with the people you work with or whether you just want to be polite and get along with everyone.
    She gets more work done sat in her room at lunchtime but I am a lot happier at school.