1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting GCSE's in Year 9???

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by bigpedro, Mar 9, 2012.

1. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

As far as i understand you can do this. We've done it with G and T groups in the past and i've even got a y9 finishing his GCSE this year. A word of caution though... In general, a 15 year old isnt quite as equipped to deal with the pressures of a GCSE as a 16 year old. You may well take a hit on grades depending on your subject.

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

No rules about when you do GCSE. You could start them in year 3 if the children were up to it.
    Not a good plan though.
    The government seems to be moving to 5 years of secondary school working up to GCSE.
    P

3. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

Gove Minor - he say 'No'. And for once I agree with him. Very few Yr 9s I've taught have had the maturity to tackle GCSE. In fact, in my experience, very few Yr 10s take them seriously.

4. Can they? Yes.
    Should they? ...
    Will they be allowed to in future? A lot of schools are doing various GCSEs early- including English and Maths. I shan't get too far into it because the whole issue is making me very cross at the moment.

5. evilmonkey

evilmonkey New commenter

Apologies to hijack, but this thread is nealry but not quite asking the question I'mlooking to ask.
    If a GCSE is taken in year 9 (or 10) when would the results appear in the league table?
    IE you entered a year 9 in an exam, would that result go down in this years results or in 2014 when they rest of there exams are done?
    Thanks / apologies to OP

6. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I don't understand this at all. It's not necessary to have a 'course' to follow in order to educate. There are loads of things children don't have time for. GCSE courses are very narrow and year 10 is plenty of time to start on them. Why wouldn't schools spend year 9 on more education rather than start GCSE courses early? When my mum was at school, way back in the forties, they didn't start their school cert set texts until fifth year (current year 11) but their education had been broad and thorough so they knew how to approach the study properly and it didn't need to take so long.

7. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

I think it depends on how sucessful it is and how the school manipulates the figures. As far as I'm avare, the early students can be "lost in the system" if their results are shall we say, undesirable. alternatively, they could be used go give a boost to current year figures or the figures for the student's y11 subjects.
    I know thats what I'd do if I were a HT. Contact your exams officer, I'm sure they'll have a better answer for you than my cynical ****

8. To answer the OP - many schools can & do start GCSEs in Y9. In particular, Science where the school is offering triple award rather than dual award. In this case, the final exams are generally taken in Y11. Starting in Y9 just enables the extra syllabus to be covered.
    In addition, I know of schools that start or offer MFL, maths or IT early too.
    A lot depends on the school culture, timetable constraints and pupils. The MFL ones I know of, offer bilingual pupils the chance to sit GCSE exams in their mother tongue in Y9. The pupils get teaching support from the staff to ensure the syllabus is covered properly but there is clearly less of a teaching load than covering a language 'ab initio'. This helps the pupils get another GCSE, it stops them getting bored / fidgety / disruptive in classes alongside their peers who are less strong in the language & then in Y10 they start another language 'ab initio' if they want.
    To answer a later post:
    The schools I am aware of (independent) do not really worry about league tables. So much so that some of them offer IGCSEs which may be invisible in league tables. The schools are more concerned about their university entrance figures. Universities look for pupils with a strong academic background - the number of GCSEs a pupil has is a factor here & if they were taken early then that is a strength of the pupil (and allows more to be taken later!). The schools do not enter Y9 or Y10 pupils for GCSEs with the intention of letting them 'have another go in Y11' if results are poor. Early entrants are allowed only if they are deemed ready and the next academic year can be used for something else!