1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting GCSEs in Year 9

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by lexydoodle, Jun 17, 2011.

1. I've just been appointed hod at a school which is starting gcse language and literature in year 9. Has anyone else had experience of this?What do people think about the idea?

2. We do one piece of controlled assessment at the end of Year 9 but we don't start any earlier than that.

3. Cat0115

Cat0115 New commenter

Have you checked that the CA title won't change before they certificate? They have a shelf life I think - but it might be ok this year because it's two years (AQA) for these now....confusing but a possibility!

4. September

September New commenter

We are doing a 3 year KS4 at my school and the students are really positve about it. They see GCSE's as something beneficial and really appreciate being able to start these in Year 9. Students who are not engaged in KS3 have said that they know that they will work hard in Year 9 because its GCSE's. We are introducing a creative KS3 Curriculum to engage the students and then doing the formalising in Year 9 and Year 10.

5. As long as it helps to increase skill levels and doesn't end up reducing overall teaching time...

6. We have just started teaching GCSE in Y9. We get 4 hours a week to complete it in one year, bear in mind that these students have only had 80 weeks in KS3 to gather the skills needed to prepare them and you can take 8 weeks off that for flexible learning day, trips etc. Problems will occur later when some students won’t have studied some subjects for two years when they opt in Y11 or one year in Y10. SLT still expect us to achieve A-A* and maintain our pass rate if not increase it year on year!