1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting GCSE Maths in year 9?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by davehodmaths, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Can anyone give me some advice? I am considering beginning GCSE teaching in year 9. My rationale is that much of the content in the year 9 resources is covered in year 10, now that the SATs have gone I think it would be possible to begin the year 9 N.C. coverage via GCSE material. Why? Pupils will have longer to achieve/consolidate their understanding and may enter early for GCSE (year 10) and either continue with statistics if successful or further study for a resit. Basically taking the GCSE over 3 years if needed. This contrasts with my previous schools decision to begin year 8 resources in year 7, thus year 10 becomes a re-hash of year 9 resources.
    If anyone has experience or knowledge of the above I would love to hear from you.

2. Can anyone give me some advice? I am considering beginning GCSE teaching in year 9. My rationale is that much of the content in the year 9 resources is covered in year 10, now that the SATs have gone I think it would be possible to begin the year 9 N.C. coverage via GCSE material. Why? Pupils will have longer to achieve/consolidate their understanding and may enter early for GCSE (year 10) and either continue with statistics if successful or further study for a resit. Basically taking the GCSE over 3 years if needed. This contrasts with my previous schools decision to begin year 8 resources in year 7, thus year 10 becomes a re-hash of year 9 resources.
    If anyone has experience or knowledge of the above I would love to hear from you.

3. I inherited the early entry when I took over as HoD and think there are some pros and cons. I taught, obviously, the old GCSE for entry in Y10 and think for able children it is the right decision, but think about what they will do in Year 11. Statistics is an option but their other maths skills might decline and could impact on their A level if they intend to do it, There is FSMQ which would help prepare for A level, would it make A level a more likely choice? What happens to those pupils who get a D grade can you accommodate a resit and those who pass in your classes in Y11? Could you lose your A* candidates by entering early? Is a child more likely to pass as they have only one exam to pass? It depends on the pupils you have and what is best for them. What ever way you can make them enthusiastic and able mathematicians is best for them a good pass at GCSE should be your aim.

4. sallbear

sallbear New commenter

We have just opened a sixth form and we are really struggling with pupils from other schools who have done early entry. It is not a problem when they have carried on with Additional Maths.
    At KS4 we start with the'official GCSE work after Easter in year 9 but before that we are always stressing when topics are also on their GCSE

5. Thanks for the replies guys. I'm concerned about juggling the desire from leadership to improve " headline figures" ie gcse pass rates, and my desire to lead the learning of maths. I have been toying with beginning GCSE resources in year 9. The rationale would be to cover the course over 3 years and have the opportunity to enrich, extend, try project type activities alongside skill based material needed for the exam. I always seem to be pushed for time in year 11 and, as I mentioned in my first post, now SATs have gone and also because of the overlap in content In year 9 and 10, I wonder if this would be a good idea. If nothing else, using year 9 to be sure the foundations of the GCSE are thoroughly set in place through both skills based approaches and functional and problem solving approaches. I could also use this to begin moving some staff towards more modern teaching and learning approaches.

In summary, now SATs have gone I want to capitalise on this rather than carry on as normal.

6. We have just started early entry with the top 2 sets on either side of the year and will start after easter with the lower sets. Early indications are that the set one pupils are doing just as well with the A* material as the current year 10 set one pupils did in their first module last week. We haven't decided what to do in year 11- it will be interesting to see what schools who did early entry before us decide to do....

7. joanneiwood

joanneiwood New commenter

I have just started teaching in a school where the top 2 sets are being entered for Unit 2 Higher GCSE in March of year 9. I am looking for another job....... They are not mature enough and, indeed, what will they do after the end of year 10 when they have completed it? Resits are not going to appeal to most of these kids and I can not see any benefit of this early entry.

8. I am having to do exactly the same - AQA unit 2 (in around 42 lessons !!). Ridiculous !!! My top pupils in the class will probably achieve no higher than a B grade (if the practice papers are anything to go by) and I appreciate your feeling re new job etc. etc.
    In the inevitable event of underachievement, pupils may become demotivated and lose self esteem - the very things that schools are supposed to build ! In answer to my constant whinging, the HoD simply says "they can resit next March". Great!! We are leading them into the dark and murky world of FAILURE (oops, sorry, there is no such thing as failure...) Some may say this is tantamount to child abuse.
    My own children attend private school...

9. September

September New commenter

iThere are two posts running on this topic and the one I just posted this on was to do with English but I am HOD of maths and have reposted my comments here
    "We are doing a 3 year KS4 at my school and the students are really positve about it. They see GCSE's as something beneficial and really appreciate being able to start these in Year 9. Students who are not engaged in KS3 have said that they know that they will work hard in Year 9 because its GCSE's. We are introducing a creative KS3 Curriculum to engage the students and then doing the formalising in Year 9 and Year 10"
    In Year 11 we will be doing Additional Maths and Foundation of Advanced Mathematics and also running a 1 year GCSE course.