1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting GCSE Business Studies - which exam board?

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by madwoman, Nov 28, 2011.

1. madwoman

madwoman New commenter

Hi Guys
    I havent taught business for several years and I'm going to start again in September.
    I am looking for positives/negatives for the exam boards as it seems a mine field to me at the moment :)
    Thanks for your help in advance
    Maddy x

2. glynmanton

glynmanton New commenter

EDEXCEL is well resourced and an excellent course. They offer good support. My only criticism is the broadness of the controlled assessment - I prefer OCR's take on this- although I prefer the two edexcel exams (50% and 25%) so this out-ways OCR.

3. I agree with Glynmanton - but i would though wouldn't I?

Go on the training for controlled assessment but the exams are really straight forward. Shouldn't be an issue with terminal assessment as unint 1 exam is multiple choice.

4. <font face="Times New Roman" size="3">

</font><font size="2">Hiyah</font>

<font size="2">For a mixed
    ability group I would plump for the OCR, I have six years teaching the GCSE and
    would say it suits C-G but there is scope for the A-B students simply because
    of how the questions are set up, worded etc The Controlled Assessment is also
    nice and straightforward which suits some of my weaker candidates as they can
    also find good things to write.</font>

<font size="2">The AQA is
    excellent if you have a very academic high achieving group - I have examined
    that qual for 10 years + and I am always impressed that it gives the stronger
    candidates room to stretch their legs. </font>

<font size="2">Depends what sort
    of centre you are teaching in and how the groups are streamed. Happy to chat
    more via e-mail if you wish:</font>

<font size="2">Sarah Hilton</font>

revisionstation@hotmail.co.uk<font size="2">
    </font>

5. madwoman

madwoman New commenter

thanks food for thought there - I was looking at the AQA one so maybe the OCR is more straightforward?

6. glynmanton

glynmanton New commenter

the answer to this is resources - I generally pair up with someone by email and share - if you can do this then you can also share someones experience with that exam board

7. AQA - Business Studies
    OCR - Economics

At all levels as it stands with their current syllabi. All you need to know!

8. Multi-choice exams aren't easier. They purposefully try and catch out students and if there is negative marking, this penalises students for taking risks.
    Also, it doesn't really set students up to develop their analysis/evaluation skills, which are MUCH more important at AS/A2 level.
    I don't know of any centre (school or college) locally that uses EdExcel for either of the subjects. I also don't know of any school/college that doesn't use AQA for Business and OCR for Economics.
    Just my two cents...

9. We've recently conducted a survey of the awarding body choices being made by centres around the UK. Results from the link below. Edexcel has being growing in popularity since the new 2009 specs came into play, but AQA is (just) still the leader. however, BTEC First now dominates as the most popular Level 2 option. Waiting to see what happens when BTEC First has two examined units from Sept 2012...

http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/index.php/business-studies/comments/edexcel-closes-the-gap-on-aqa-for-gcse-business-as-btec-first-powers-ahead

Jim