1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting English PGCE at Leicester and I am terrified! Help? : )

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by SianVeasey, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I am a first time poster and starting my English PGCE at The University of Leicester in September. I was on the waiting list until last week so it has all come as a bit of a shock! Just wondering if there is any advice from people in a similar situation? I am also going to be doing this with two children (aged 4 and 7)! I am excited but really scared so any advice would be welcomed with open arms : )

2. Hi all,
    I am a first time poster and starting my English PGCE at The University of Leicester in September. I was on the waiting list until last week so it has all come as a bit of a shock! Just wondering if there is any advice from people in a similar situation? I am also going to be doing this with two children (aged 4 and 7)! I am excited but really scared so any advice would be welcomed with open arms : )

3. Hi, Congratulations for getting on the course!

I have just finished an English PGCE and while it WAS hard work, as long as you stay mega organised (buy a page a day diary or note book and write EVERYTHING in it- meeting notes, reminders, to-do lists, detentions you have got to run, etc) you will be fine.

It is only natural to feel nervous (I said exactly the same as you this time last year) however, don't feel scared about training for a profession that is AMAZING!

Best of luck, Soxy xx

4. Thank You! I have already purchased a diary, as I knew it may come in handy! I know it will all be worth it in the end but it is scary seeing all the negatives people are mentioning. I'm pretty thick skinned so hopefully I can handle all the criticism i have heard I will be getting! x sian x

5. Get ahead as far as you can - read up on teaching and behaviour management (see amazon for ideas) but you can get many from the library and texts that are commonly studied in school. Stock up the freezer with home cooked meals because you will be busy. Have a nice summer and don't stress [​IMG]

6. I have set up a group on Facebook for the PGCE at Leciester 2011. I think there is another English PGCE student there. Feel free to join us if you like

7. First of all - congrats, OP! I also had a late acceptance to my PGCE in 2009 so I know how it can feel like a huge rush at times!

Secondly, I agree with this quote that getting books from the library (local or uni) is helpful, as some that were on my reading list I hardly needed, despite what uni said! You could always wait until you get to uni and buy them then if necessary, or organise a book-swap with others in your cohort...

8. It is so good to hear I will be able to find time for my children and fiance at the weekends. I am a bit obsessive about organisation any way so I am hoping it comes in handy. I know it is going to be hard work but after a year of inactivity and thinking I would not get on to the course this year I am so ready to get in to, but am just scared of getting it wrong. Thank you for the advice, it is nice to know people have got to the end of it with a family in tow : )

9. Hi, your not alone! I start September pgce in English with media, I get butterflies every time I think about it. I have 3 kids, 15, 12 and 10 months so am also really scared, I have 2 travel a hour 10 minutes to uni then back again,haven't studied for years, tried starting the first assignment a number of times and am struggling even though its straightforward so yeah its scary. Advice from a friend was 2 utilise every minute of time in placement so there is less to do when you get home/weekends, also less likely to be distracted by family. She didn't have kids but she still found the workload hard, so I'm expecting the worse that way there won't be any surprises and I will hopefully be prepared!

10. Hi,
    You're in for a hard slog, but it is worth it in the end. I completed my English PGCE 2009 and my advice would be:
    Spend time getting to know people on your course and get contact information for each other. There will be no-one else that understands the highs and the lows. It can also be helpful when struggling with assignments.
    As others have said, get organised. You are going to have to show that you have achieved professional and subject standards. You'll need lots of hole punched pockets, folders, dividers and a decent printer. I was given a teacher's planner before I started my second placement and found it invaluable. You can see at a glance what classes you have, resources you need and remind yourself of meetings/detentions etc. on a daily basis.
    Don't reinvent the wheel. Find out what resources your school have that you can differentiate and change. There are also websites where you can get free membership and access resources too - like TES and Teachit.
    Listen to the advice of your mentor and if you're worried about something ask. Mentors sometimes struggle to give you regular dedicated time but are always willing to give you help - don't suffer in silence.
    Do some reading. Generic reading about behaviour and assessment is a good start. Also, subject specific reading is good, like getting an idea about exam specifications. I bought some KS3 and GCSE revision guides before I started.
    Above all, enjoy it. It's difficult and time consuming but if you can get through your PGCE and get a job in a supportive school the rewards are worth your sacrifices.