1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting during the Summer Term- Advice Needed!

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by NowaMrs, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Hello
    I am an experienced teacher taking up my first new position (with responsibility now!) in a different school (stayed at same school after NQT year). I've never started mid way through the academic year and have only ever worked in 1 school so I am nervous on a few counts! Namely starting at a new school but also the fact that things will be brand new for me, but not for the kids, as they've been doing their thing since Sept!!
    Has anyone else taken up a post after Easter- any tips? Should I do the whole outlining my "rules/expectations" with each class as I would at the start of a fresh year in Sept or should I just launch straight into teaching the modules and they'll soon learn my expectations should they fall short of them?!?
    I don't even have INSET the 1st day back, it's straight into teaching!!! Ahhhh!
    Thanks for any replies [​IMG]

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

At the very least spend part of the first lesson with each group establishing your seating plan.
    The easiest way to do that without too much arguing frm pupils is to rearrange the tables so that their uisual place in the room no longer exists.
    I like to have a chevron/arrow pattern of rows of tables (point of arrow to back wall) so that all pupils are focussed on the centre front wall of the room.There's a centre aisle and two aisles on either side if the room is wide enough.
    It helps to make it clear from the outset that this is now your room.

3. Good idea, thanks. I was thinking about the table arrangement the room has currently and I was hoping to change it so that's a good idea that everyone's places will be new now!!!
    I think I want to spend some of the first lessons seeing what they're really capable of in the language, I know which sets they are but I feel a set 1 in one school can be very different to a set 1 in another school! I've prepared some vocab quizzes to do; that way they'll get an impression of me straight away because I'll be doing a "quiz" (test) and taking in their marks [​IMG]

4. Thank you Salsera :)
    All very valid comments, will take them on board! Good to know someone else has been through it and survived!! [​IMG]