1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting as I mean to go on?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by KarrieGem, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Hi Everyone,
    I have posted here before. I am now due to start my NQT year with year 1 in 2 weeks and getting very nervous now! I have started my NQT year before (became very ill early on so now restarting) and one thing that really worries me is that I very quickly felt as if things were getting on top of me and I felt very overwhelmed and I would really like to avoid this as much as possible this time. Does anyone have any advice? or any particular advice for things I should be doing in these last 2 weeks before I start full time? The planning of most of the subjects in under control, Numeracy and Literacy are done on a weekly basis and I still need to speak with the current teacher about where the children are. I am so nervous about taking over part way through the year especially as the teacher I am taking over from is amazing and what I would call a 'natural' teacher as are all the staff actually (it's an outstanding school). I'm really hoping I can do a good job, but so scared that I can't possibly be as great a teacher as the children are used to. Any tips greatly appreciated,
    K x

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Now outstanding primary schools are not, in any way shape or form, desperate for teachers. So if they have appointed you (temporarily or permanently) they must think you are exactly what they want and are up to the job. So you need to believe that you are also worth it.

Maybe see if you can go into school a few times to visit. Get to know the children a bit (work as an unpaid TA type of thing) and see how the classroom operates. See what things the teacher does that you think are fab and will definitely keep. See what she does that aren't exactly what you would do, but you'll keep for the sake of continuity. And then see what you really couldn't have in your own room and will change.

Also see if you can possibly observe some of the other teachers in the school, to get a whole school perspective. Collect things like timetables of assembly/PE/Break times and other paperwork.

And yes SLEEP!!!