1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting as Assessment Leader!

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by blue_lau, Jul 18, 2012.

1. blue_lau

blue_lau New commenter

Hi all,
    As of September, I'll be starting as Assessment Leader of a large primary school. I've a bit of knowledge of what the role demands, but I wondered if any wise owls on this forum had any helpful tips/knowledge/reading that they wouldn't mind passing on. One thing that really freaks me out is all the deadlines for baselines/data/results etc! Information on this kind of thing would be greatly appreciated.
    We're also due an OFSTED in September... ;o)
    Thanks in advance.
    BL

2. blue_lau

blue_lau New commenter

Hi all,
    As of September, I'll be starting as Assessment Leader of a large primary school. I've a bit of knowledge of what the role demands, but I wondered if any wise owls on this forum had any helpful tips/knowledge/reading that they wouldn't mind passing on. One thing that really freaks me out is all the deadlines for baselines/data/results etc! Information on this kind of thing would be greatly appreciated.
    We're also due an OFSTED in September... ;o)
    Thanks in advance.
    BL

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Hi
    Am secondary but have something I can send which may be of use if you provide e mail add.

4. Might sound obvious, but get hold of the 2011 RAISEonline summary report, that's what OFSTED are going to use to make their intial conclusions if they inspect you in September. They will ask about the 2012 results, so you'll have to compare to 2011 national unless you're inspected after the first statistical release of KS2 data.
    Progress is a hot topic so ensure you've worked out your 2 levels progress, I'd do it for Reading and Writing as well as English/Maths this year. Look out for the amended inspection arrangements which expands on the January 2012 framework (due for publication in September); expect some clarification on what 'good' progress looks like (hopefully will dispell the dreaded 14+ points issue). Progress year on year will also be crucial, not just KS1 to 2.
    Pupil groups will come under scrutiny, work out which ones are relevant to your school. If pupil characteristics don't reveal much (FSM, SEN, EAL, ethnicity), consider attendance, impact of intervention etc.
    It's also about the 'so what' and 'what next' - if there is a percieved weakness in boys writing, how is the school going to address that - does it start at EYFSP?

5. Intrigued would this be of use to me?
    Special ed
    kazmthomas@hotmail.com

6. Ruthiesword

Ruthiesword New commenter

Definitely the 'so what' and 'what next'
    When they come they will analyse raise to pieces and present questions in their PIB (although not sure how this works with the shortened notice now- we had a weekend's grace)
    We also had a cluster school look at our raise - we have looked at theirs too - to spot any issues we might have missed - could you and someone else in your school look at it separately and come together to discuss what you have both spotted?
    Also if you're due a visit put together one file with a section for each relevant cohort with the FSP to KS1 to KS2 results and progress and percentages for every group you can think of. You will have loads of stuff but they didn't have long with me to discuss it all so I needed to be precise.
    I also drew venn diagrams with reading, writing, maths for last few years cohorts at KS1 and KS2 - these really helped as we have had some odd cohorts with boys with dyslexia who made levels in one area but not across board, and similar issues elsewhere - the venn's enabled me to highlight individual pupils by initials and helped explain the situations behind the statistics - it also made me feel like a teacher and not just a data junkie!