1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting as a TA/Qualifications

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by MartyW, Nov 20, 2011.

1. MartyW

MartyW New commenter

#Hello all. I'm looking into getting into TAing as a career and was hoping for some pointers.
    A little background info first, I'm 24 male university graduate who has spent a substantial amount of time in schools (including most of the last school year) I was hoping to become a teacher but it all became rather stressful, as such whilst I have been in a TAish/classroom helper role, I don't have a great background in the specifics.
    I'm looking to get into a a TA post but most seem to want a (at least level 2) qualification, NVQ seems to require you to be in a post already (I think) and I don't know how to pick between the various BTECs and CACHEs or indeed what I should be doing next.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

2. Hi there, I am little lost on your post so please bare with me. You say you want to be a TA (teaching assistant) " but most seem to want a (at least level 2) qualification " ! In my experience that is level two literacy and numeracy minimum, GCSE's or an NVQ2.
    Hun, you have a level six qualification if you are already a graduate and most schools I have worked for would snap you up in a flash !
    The biggest worry you would have is the HT and Governors worrying that you might find the job a little mundane for your own intellectual stimulation, however once in post you can work towards level four courses in the field which will bring you up to speed on current practice and theory if needed. Most teachers I have worked with recognise a TA's skills and use them to benefit pupils, so worrying about intellectual satisfaction should not be a worry.
    Once in a placement, The Open University does 'Supporting Learning in Primary Schools', which will give you a good grounding in current theory and practice as well as role expectations. Also more and more LEA's, nation wide, are accepting it as a TA qualification despite it being academic, though you do have to be in a placement to do the course.
    Getting a job as a TA is not just about qualifications, there is also the why. If you have good reasons for wanting to be a TA, that are child centred, passionate, supportive and recognise the true importance of the Teachers role , you will get a job without any role specific qualies, you would just have to work towards them. Many LEA's and/or schools offer on the job training oppertunities. So get your applications filled in and your interview skills honed and go for it, now if that is really what you want to do.
    Best Wishes
    Maisy.

3. You do not need any qualifications to be a TA unless the post advertised stipulates it. NVQs have been replaced with diplomas but you need to be either employed as a TA or volunteering in schools to do these.
    As you already have a degree and have some experience in schools, your best option is to try applying for TA posts. You may find you have to persevere with applications though - some schools will not shortlist you because they consider you to be overqualified for the post. So ensure you make it clear in your supporting statement that you do want to be a TA and explain what attracted you to the job etc.