1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting an ICT SCITT / PGCE in September

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by nathan_rees, May 31, 2012.

1. nathan_rees

nathan_rees New commenter

I will be carrying out my PGCE in September at Gloucestershire SCITT Consortium. I have had a chat with the head of IT in a secondary school and he said that both KS3 and KS4 use flash animation, however, I am a bit concerned as even though I have just completed my IT degree I have never used flash animation nor other various programmes. I am now wondering, will the Uni provide lessons on subject areas within the curriculum or is it all teacher training based?

2. nathan_rees

nathan_rees New commenter

I will be carrying out my PGCE in September at Gloucestershire SCITT Consortium. I have had a chat with the head of IT in a secondary school and he said that both KS3 and KS4 use flash animation, however, I am a bit concerned as even though I have just completed my IT degree I have never used flash animation nor other various programmes. I am now wondering, will the Uni provide lessons on subject areas within the curriculum or is it all teacher training based?

3. Very much doubt that will happen - teach yourself - it's not hard.

There is a multiplicity of excellent resources available not least on this site.

And do it before you are exhausted doing the teaching course.

4. Try this, for instance:

http://www.adobegeneration.com/

Good luck!

5. JohnBrown talks out of her **** nearly all the time. On this subject, however, she is right. Firstly, identify exactly what software you are likely to need to know next year by talking to all of the Hods you are likely to work with. Add to that leanring how to program using python or similar. Then crack on and practice. There are now millions of free tutorials about for all software, especially on YouTube. You just have to search for them, find the good ones you like and then magic up the hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours it takes to learn them to a point where you can teach them confidently. Best cancel your life for the next 18 months, though.

6. Bateman8936

Bateman8936 New commenter

Hi nathan_rees,

I'm just finishing my PGCE at Glos SCITT (just 1 more day teaching!) It's a fantastic course. You're more than welcome to drop me a message if you'd like any other questions asked. Some of the local schools do use Flash but I wouldn't worry about it too much - the Subject Leader is very good and will give you everything you need - he's very good at filling subject knowledge!

Where did you do your degree?

What school was it by the way? I can guess probably - that sounds like a school that I know.

Well Done on getting on the course and good luck next year!

7. Bateman8936

Bateman8936 New commenter

Sorry Tasha, absolutely. Send me a DM with any questions you've got and an email address and I'll reply for you.