1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting an EAL department - what’s your best advice?

Discussion in 'EAL' started by seph10, Mar 20, 2020.

1. seph10

seph10 New commenter

Hi all,

I’m currently working in a new bilingual school in China and we are looking at how to get our EAL department off to a good start.

I am an experienced EFL teacher and PGCE holder but am fairly new to the ‘International School’ scene.

I am looking for any words of wisdom from the folks here regarding excellent programmes, assessment tools, or ways to keep up with the latest research.

It feels we have a bit of a blank slate here and I’m keen to learn more about what makes an excellent EAL department..... so any (constructive) advice welcome.

2. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

I’d go to the NALDIC website first and have a look around. There’s also at least one google group for EAL practitioners that I belong to and they are great with advice. EAL Nexus site is great and then the there is the Bell Foundation.
    Check some of that stuff out and that should help you start forming a game plan. And then I’ll look out for your additional questions and responses from others.

seph10 likes this.
  3. Jonfkirk

Jonfkirk New commenter

Don't just buy a set of text books. Think about what you want your pupils to learn and how your teaching fits in with whole school teaching and learning.