1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting a Tutoring Company

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Yasin22, Jun 26, 2014.

1. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

Very proud of that cover, and happy to put my name to it.

Yeah, again, that's what all the sweat-shop owners say.

2. I'm not sure why some people think that tutors in tuition centres are not well paid. in fact I receive a slightly better rate for my tuition centre work than I do for my one to one work. It also has the advantage that in July and August when my one to one GCSE and A level students have all finished, I can still earn a reasonable amount.

And to answer the OP:

1) What happens if a tutor I hire calls in sick? Do I cancel the session or is there another option?

It almost never happens but if you employ enough tutors then when one is absent the others can each take an extra student, as long as you're only giving each tutor 3 or 4 students.

2) What is stopping tutors that I hire from taking the kids they have found from my company and begin tutoring them privately, consequently taking them away from my company?

Nothing I suppose but why would they? If they enjoy working with you they will not want to damage your business. In fact I occasionally refer students to the centre where I work.

3) Do I simply let tutors create their own plans and resources or should I have some sort of set structure in place for them to follow?

Why would you tell a qualified teacher/tutor what to teach and how to teach it? You employ them for their expertise. Let them use it.

3. persiankat

persiankat New commenter

Well said Babymaths. It's because I pay slightly over the odds that tutors stay with me. It's an odd assumption that a qualified teacher would agree to work in sweat shop conditions!

4. Well as a tutor for many years there are a few comments I can chip in here:

If you are going to run a successful centre then make sure the kids get a good deal -properly qualified teacher tutors who know their subjects, no more than three or four (of same level and subject) in groups and pay your tutors a fair wage... you need to make a profit but they need a sensible rate of pay that reflects their expertise and the job they do...pay holiday and sick pay and pay the tutor even if a student cancels...then you will get quality tutors who are prepared to stay. Let them plan and choose their own work that relates to the individuals they work with but make sure they keep records so that in case the tutor is ill or leaves someone else can just go with it.

I can tell you now you won't make money in the beginning but you will gain an excellent reputation and the business will grow to the point you will have a healthy profit based on standards and results...

Provide things a 1:1 can't such as computers, more varied resources, parent facilities etc and charge less per child than a 1:1 tutor would. Keep copies of up to date DBS to show parents and have liability insurance - be on top of safeguarding. Offer free assessments and taster sessions...

I work for an agency/centre who I feel don't really do any of the above and get frustrated - I only stay through loyalty to the children and the fact I actually enjoy working there. There's also the fact that the centre provides all the resources so no lugging heavy bags or outgoings, less travelling and I don't have to look for students which helps. But yes i do occasionally "steal" students on the sly - and then tutor them at their home or mine (and thus earn twice as much with only one student rather than up to 5) but feel justified as the child then gets a much better service and I earn what I deserve...

But you will become a manager as time goes by and will leave the teaching to your tutors!