1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

starting a new tropical tank

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grandelf, Jan 2, 2011.

1. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Just a bit of advice really as I know there are a fair few fish keepers out there!

Have had my tank up and running for a few days to help set it up.
    The water has been treated, I have a couple of plants in there (with feeder). New piece of bog wood is soaking before it going into the tank to stop it bleeding colour, and all those other little jobs that come before you get to put fish in it.
    Tomorrow however is the day fish start to go into the tank, so any idea what are good hardy fish to put in there?

I'm thinking something like guppies,
    [​IMG]

Buenos aries tetras
    [​IMG]
    or Danios
    [​IMG]

2. I think those sound about right. I know you are meant to get little hardy fish like those to "cycle" the tank and get it to the right balance for other more interesting fishes!
    Catfish are good too I think.

3. My girlfriend bought a tank with some danios in for the house. They died within about two weeks of having them.
    They were more hard work than they were worth!

4. I went with white cloud mountain minnows which are, apparently, pretty tolerant of any mistakes. I still have 5 of the 6 over a year later. Of all the other fish I've bought (guppies, mollies, plattys, catfish, dannios) the dannios have been the most long lived.
    I only added neon tetras recently and wish I'd got them earlier as they are so pretty.
    The guppies have been a bit contrary and also quite aggressive...constantly nipping at the plattys and mollies, then upping and dying on me.
    Beware of getting a pleco catfish - I was advised it was good for keeping algae at bay but not warned that they GROW and that all they do all day is produce coil upon coil of poo which drapes itself over everything. They are so ugly that they're quite cute though.

5. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

ah forgot to add, i cannot have loaches/catfish types as they are bottom feeders and the bio orbs don't work well for them

thanks for the ideas so far, neons are great but need a bit of an established tank before you should really be adding them.

Seren I am impressed, you keeping things alive! guess it must just be plants you kill off [​IMG]

6. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

When you said tropical tank . . .

[​IMG]

7. Which is why I've stuck with plastic plants though I'm considering real ones...
    What's a 'bio orb'? I could google but it's more fun getting you to explain!

8. inq

inq

White cloud minnows are quite hardy - mine are about 6 years old having started in my old cold water tank.
    Neon tetras are supposed to be fussy but I had a couple in my old cold water tank too and they've survived but I wouldn't recommend them to start with. A lot of the small tetras are quite hardy.
    Mollies die easily in my tank but as I've got cory's I don't add any salt and mollies prefer brakish water.
    I would also only add 1 or 2 fish a week to start with to let the biological filter catch up, I'd also keep doing small regular (daily/ 2 daily) water changes.
    Good luck - I love my tank and I'm sure yours will soon look great.

9. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

is short it is an all in one tank with the filter already built into the tank. Its a bit geeky ish (the Ipod of the fish tank world). Made of acrylic rather than glass so much lighter (still sodding heavy when you fill it with water than watch the bookcase start to creak and slide to one side when it is full!)

[​IMG]

10. ah...that's quite nice. Sort of designery.
    I hope you've taken it off the bookcase - an accident waiting to happen otherwise.

11. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

What sort of water do you have?

If you have hard (and alkaline) water then I'd go with the guppies or platties....

If it's soft (and acidic), then tetras will be better. Bog wood will further soften the water.

WCMMs and Danios are happier with neutral water.

12. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

not only did i spend 30 minutes emptying the tank again so I could pick it up!, I have been out and bought a far sturdier unit to keep it on!
    and doom, you couldn't keep fish in that tank, they wouldn't know how to drive it....

13. We had our tank up and running for about a month before we added anything, apparently this is something to do with the bacteria reproducing in the filter. We started with platy and mollies. We have only lost one fish and bless him he was a bit small and runtish.

14. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

very hard water. To the point where I have to filter it before I dare let it even get inside a kettle to make a brew with!

15. lilachardy

Stay away from tetras then - they need the soft water you find in the amazon.

After a few months, your tank water may have reduced in hardness (see comment on bog wood!) and may then be suitable for tetras.

Go for guppies.
    My water here is too soft for guppies - just cannot keep them unless I artificially harden the water. Which I can't be ***** with.

16. West Coast of Scotland soft water might be behind my lack of success with guppies - though the two grumpy wee bug gers I still have seem to be doing fine.
    I'm rather chuffed that one of my platy fry has made it to maturity without being scoffed.

17. inq

inq

We have very, very hard water but I don't think anyone's told my tetra's! The neons are 6 years old, started in a hard water tank and now in my tropical tank - I never use the pH adjust things you can buy either.
    I think a lot is trial and error - I waited about 3 weeks before adding any fish to mine.

18. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

thats the joy of using fish to start the cycle is you can add fish sooner. The guide says you can put A fish in after 24 hours, but then wait a while till you can add more.

This is what is making me think, as most of the hardy fish tend to be shoaling fish, so having 1 will not be good for the fish!

might just have to go for 3, and allow survival of the fittest to kick in!

19. lilachardy

Three small guppies (or tetras for that matter) will be fine... compare them with one small goldfish, and you'll see that even three of them are really not going to load the filter too much.

Due to moving house I had to start my filter up far more rapidly than that. And we all coped... not a trace of new tank syndrome either!

20. Guppies are lovely little things and I have never found them difficult.
    Danios die as soon as I look at them. Never, ever had any success with them.