1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting a new teaching job in the middle of the year

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by MademoiselleP, Feb 10, 2012.

1. MademoiselleP

MademoiselleP New commenter

Hi

Hoping to get some well-needed reassurance here ... I've had an interview this morning and was offered the job of Spanish/French teacher in a secondary school . The job is a maternity cover up to the end of the Summer term.
    I am starting on Monday after the half-term and as I am a worry/fuss pot , thousands of unhelpful thoughts are darting in my mind. My biggest worry is how to assert myself with the classes I am going to take from the lady leaving for her maternity leave. I imagine I will spend the first week "breaking the ice" and if you have any tips on how to help me do this , it 'd be more than welcome. I don't want them to see me too much as a "cover "teacher because they might not take me seriously enough and make my life harder than necessary .

Any ideas you have , from experience or inspiration , will be hugely appreciated !!!!

2. ITA76

ITA76 New commenter

Hello,

I have done exactly the same thing twice before, and.it is very difficult.I wou,dnt bother with trying to break the ice with them the first week (they will see this as weakness).Itis really hard to go on mid term so you have to go in firm with them and after a couple of weeks lighten up a bit. Follow the behaviour policy to the the last letter.Set homework the first lesson. Made the mistake the first time I went in mid term in beingr nice Anne trying to break the ice and the kids took advantage. Good luck! You will be fine!