1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting a new job.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by djphilp, Aug 2, 2011.

1. I'm starting my first full time primary position in September having worked in secondary before and completed a conversion course in 2010. I did work part time in a previous primary temporary position and have done primary supply but am very excited to have my own class now full time.
    I'm a bit nervous, particularly as I got the job after term finished and will be going in on the Monday to teach the new class having not met them or yet been through the schemes of work etc. Has anyone got any good ideas for starting with a new class and new school for the first couple of days as I get my head around the school routines etc. I'd be very grateful for any advice from those of you who've been there and done that.
    Thanks
    Doug

2. I'm starting my first full time primary position in September having worked in secondary before and completed a conversion course in 2010. I did work part time in a previous primary temporary position and have done primary supply but am very excited to have my own class now full time.
    I'm a bit nervous, particularly as I got the job after term finished and will be going in on the Monday to teach the new class having not met them or yet been through the schemes of work etc. Has anyone got any good ideas for starting with a new class and new school for the first couple of days as I get my head around the school routines etc. I'd be very grateful for any advice from those of you who've been there and done that.
    Thanks
    Doug

3. bumblingbee

bumblingbee New commenter

Hi Doug,
    It'll depend partly on what year group you have. I used to teach year 3 (moving over to year 6 in Sept) and would spend the first few days doing assessment type activities so I could see where they were before starting to plan and teach properly. Some activities we used to do were...
    • News - what you did in the summer - good literacy assessment
    • Some maths games - whole class/ group work - again quite good for assessment as they're having so much fun they don't realise they're being assessed.
    • Making book marks for their reading books
    • Tray labels
    • Discussing rules - what sort of rules do we need in our classroom and why
    I wouldn't keep it too loose as they might get a bit wild!
    Sorry - bit tired tonight and my brain is a bit minced!
    Bee x

4. Bee,
    Thanks - that's really helpful. It's a Year 4 class. I'll definately have a go at some of these.
    Doug

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Have a look back a few pages on here and read the threads about transition days. That was when most people met their class for the first time, so have the kinds of activities you will need.

I know you aren't an NQT, but if you read similar threads on that board, there are lots of people starting with their first primary post and so lots of good advice there too.

6. Thanks.