1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

starting a new job while on summer holiday at end of previous teaching post

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by v2f82, Mar 15, 2012.

1. I have been offered a permanent non-teachong job starting the end of July in the summer holidays. |However, I am under contract at my maintained school until 31st August. Does anyone know if I can start my new non-teaching job why still employed at my current school, or would I have to seek the be released from my contract early. In which case, could I be paid for leave not taken? Any comments would be helpful. Thanks.

2. rc07

rc07 New commenter

Hi,
    I did this last year - started new job in early August when still technically working for school until 31st. Everyone (old and new job) were aware and it wasn't a problem. I was paid for teaching as usual in the August, so got two pay slips that month.

3. Yes you can as you are only directed to work 195 days of the year - all of which you have worked by end of July.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Your school do not need to know the start date of your new job. You simply resign with effect from the the 31st August, as the previous poster said, and get the holiday pay that you have earned by working a full school year.
    All your colleagues who are not resiging can take other work in the summer holiday if they so choose. My father used to work on road surveys back in the 1960s (counting cars and lorries on main roads) to supplement his teaching salary.
    Your only issue will be that your new employer will initially have to put you on BR tax as you won'y get your P45 from your employer until September. That shouldn't be a problem as as your July and August pay from your new employer will be in addition to your teaching pay, which means that you would pay 20% tax at least on all the extra income anyway. Your Sept pay with the new employer is likely to be properly adjusted if the P45 is submitted in time for their payroll administration that month.