1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting a new job in September.

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by cooks555, May 23, 2019.

1. cooks555

cooks555 New commenter

Hello,

I'm starting a new post teaching post in September and I'm currently on M3 should be moving to M4 in September but the school have asked if I can start on M3.

Do you go up MPS if you move schools or remain on the same pay band for another year?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

There is no pay portability (hasn't been for quite a few years), so schools can pay you what you want, and it should really be something that is discussed/negotiated at interview.
    So yes, they can pay you M3. It is possible, however, that they may in Sept use their PM process, but with evidence from your old school ,and then confirm your progression to M4

border_walker likes this.
  3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Or, indeed, you can go down to the bottom of the scale, unless your LA has some kind of rule to the contrary. The fact that they have asked you if you can stay on M3 is encouraging - you could always say no and see what happens. I would guess that many schools would move you up from your previous pay, but they don't have to. Perhaps @strawbs is correct. Could you get your current school to do your review this term so you can take it with you?

border_walker likes this.
  4. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

As they have 'asked' I'd reply with something along the lines of, "On accepting the offer I believed the school recognised my current level of experience and that as the best candidate for the post would be honouring the standard progression of my pay to M4 upon commencement in September." and if I was feeling particularly mischievous I might add something along the lines of "...Would you be so good as to inform me how many of the current staff have been asked, and agreed, to not take their normal pay progression up the main pay scale?"

Lalad, Piranha and FrankWolley like this.
  5. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

'Since I am currently on M3, and would be progressing to M4 at my current school in September, you will appreciate that I accepted your offer on the understanding that progression would be honoured. Please would you confirm this to be the case?'

strawbs likes this.
  6. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

or even more mischievously... "...of course if you can confirm that the CEO, Head and senior leadership team refused the cost of living increase this year as their contribution it is something I would consider, though if money is that tight that the £2,100 of my salary would make a significant difference then I would naturally be concerned that your ability to retain my services in the years ahead as I approach the pay threshold would be compromised."