1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting a new job in January, confused if I can start trying

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by nc123, Nov 13, 2015.

1. nc123

nc123 New commenter

Hi, Please can someone offer some advice/clarification.

I'm no spring chicken and at 31 realise my clock is ticking. My husband and i have decided we would like to try for a child I however have PCOS so will 'need some help' if I can get pregnant at all. I started a new job in September and have quickly realised it is not the position for me and have since resigned and been appointed to a new position which is in a different LA due to start in January. I have been teaching for 8 years but will I qualify for maternity pay at my new school or do I have to have been working there for a certain amount of time before this will be paid? My partners job is much less paid so I'm wondering if we could/should actually afford to bring a child into this world and give him/her the best start in life.

Thank you in advance for any advice provided.

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

You can check your potential eligibility situation here - www.tesfaq.co.uk - the maternity section.

3. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

Hi, I have just found out I am 3-5weeks pregnant. I start new job in Jan but no continuous service so I only get statutory. It falls to this after about 4 months anyway though, so although I am terrified we are going to save as much as possible from now. It took me 7 months to get pregnant (I am 31 as well) and I know I could miscarry in the first 12 weeks. I would say if you can save then start trying as it may take you a while, you'd only get statutory after about 4 months anyway I think so worth saving up for whenever it happens.

As much as I wish I was staying put in my current school to gain some financial breathing space I know that people far worse off than us manage to have children. Are you able to save each month?