1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting a new job in August?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by sxu01cms, May 8, 2019.

1. sxu01cms

sxu01cms New commenter

hi, I’ve been offered a job outside of teaching, and ideally would like to start in August, rather than wait till September. If I hand in my notice now to school, and give my end date as 31 Aug, can I still start my new job in August (and have 2 pay cheques )?

2. sxu01cms

sxu01cms New commenter

Not sure if it makes a difference, but both jobs are part time....

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

This has come up recently. In my opinion, which is not in line with everybody else's, you can give your end date as 31 August and start your new job before then, provided that you can't be directed to work at your school at all during August. Which is unlikely under STPCD.

4. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

Yes, just the same as you could take on a temporary job during August during the school holidays. It may take a little while to unravel the tax codes but you'll be rich enough to be on emergency tax and reclaim it. Don't let anyone talk you into resigning on 31st July. You've worked the full 195 days in that academic year and so are entitled to the full 12/12 of the annual salary.

5. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

Unless your school has already put some dates in August into this year's directed time 'diary' I'd say you are good to start in July. Perhaps be open with your new employer and let them know that there is the smallest possibility that your previous employer may require your services for a day or two in August?

It's not illegal to have two jobs at the same time.

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Assuming STPCD conditions, the 195 days (fewer if one or more INSET days have been taken as twilights) will already have occurred, They are supposed to consist of 190 teaching days and 5 INSET days. Unless you have a contract that says otherwise, you are definitely free from the end of term. If that was not the case, teachers would be unable to book holidays during the summer break.