1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting A-Level Music Technology ... HOW??

Discussion in 'Music' started by Calverlan, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Calverlan

Calverlan New commenter

Hi All,
    I would like to introduce music technology next year in 6th form. However, I never taught it and would like ANY advice on things to think about to have it running smoothly, including a GOOD shopping list that could make it worth it. We already have a basic studio, but will need to expand it. Many thanks for all the advice, feel free to mention basic things too!

2. dawsons music can advise you on what you need for equipment. go on a course (run by exam board). visit other schools in the area, see what they have and speak to other teachers - they can act as your support through your first year. Protools is a must. Mixing desk prefered by many students. good quality speakers for listening work.
    Sorry I cant be more specific - hard to advise not knowing your background or equipment that you already have. Good luck

3. Basso_Profundo

Basso_Profundo New commenter

Saffire Pro 40 is better than "rather good"! It's excellent!
    You may find some ideas at:
    http://www.musiqueconcrete.co.uk/cwc_hardware.htm
    There are some excellent texts on use of Cubase or GarageBand by Keith Gemmell and Simon Millward.
    Sounds in Space: Sounds in Time [Richard Vella] had some excellent ideas for stretching creativity.
    HTH
    Basso
    PS if you equip your PCs with EMU sound cards or interface boxes, you get a goodly selection of software [including a very good, "light" version of Cubase] free with them - the software is, theoretically, worth more than the card/interface box, and the hardware is excellent.