1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting a job in Year 3- any advice! ( previously been in Year 1 and Year 2)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by emp1982, Dec 13, 2010.

1. hey everyone

I have just got a new position (maternity cover) in Year 3. I have worked in Year 1 ( one term of my NQT) and Year 2 (second term of my NQT) and now another maternity cover that will allow me to complete my induction time :0)

Just wondered if anyone had any advice for me as i start to change my thinking brain from Year 1 at the moment to Year 3, behaviour management is my main concern, when I had the interview there were a few children that will need me to set the boundaries...

thanks in advance :)

2. hey everyone

I have just got a new position (maternity cover) in Year 3. I have worked in Year 1 ( one term of my NQT) and Year 2 (second term of my NQT) and now another maternity cover that will allow me to complete my induction time :0)

Just wondered if anyone had any advice for me as i start to change my thinking brain from Year 1 at the moment to Year 3, behaviour management is my main concern, when I had the interview there were a few children that will need me to set the boundaries...

thanks in advance :)

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Not sure you will get fewer hugs. I'm in year six and get several a day...and they stroke my (fake) fur coat!

Set strict boundaries, but also have clear and simple rewards. I use a start chart, when the class get 10 stars they can choose a treat...usually 10 mins extra break or choosing time. Make the rewards achievable, but worthwhile. Give stickers like smarties.

Be a real stern and strict teacher when needed as well. Make it absolutely clear whether or not you are pleased. Use everything you have to praise and reprimand; voice, face, body language.

Plan and prepare so that they have no time to get into trouble.
    And have a fabulous time, year three are the best and I wish I had them!

4. Hi,

I've just finished my first term with Y3 and can definitely echo setting very strict boundaries. Some of them can be very young still and this will most definitiely help.

For BM mine absolutely love raffle tickets, then draw two out at the end of a week for a funky pencil or some such thing. They're silly little things but they love it because they're such a fun year. Y3 can be bloody hard work because you've got to 'junior' them up, but once you've 'cracked' them, they're lovely!

Have fun!