1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting a former pupils' network

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by boatie, Sep 21, 2019.

1. boatie

boatie New commenter

It may be that I will soon be tasked with starting some sort of alumni network at my 11-16 state secondary school. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice, or any experience of getting such an organisation off the ground? I am thinking that a social media platform would be a manageable start. The school is not so very old so there isn't an untapped resource of old boys and girls who have climbed the career ladder.

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

What is the rationale behind it ?

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Many schools have a Facebook page/group for former pupils (I'm a member of mine, and also of two at schools I worked in).

Otherwise you need a school alumni page - with log-in security etc - on your school website. This would be more secure, but might well be more expensive and I'm not sure as many former pupils would come across it. Personally I'd go down the Facebook route...

4. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

5. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

These things take a long time to bear fruit. A good start can be made by social media and closed websites; social activities - drinks, pub meets, whatever - will bring former students together. Maybe sport as well. Once you have this working then you can start to get it to work for the school: careers, expertise as governors, fundraising, work experience, and so on. As teachers move on from your school, you need to think right at the beginning about succession planning with the school management.

6. harpplayer

harpplayer Occasional commenter

If you are a teacher, I would have to seriously question why you should do this at all. It’s not a core teaching task, and could be an absolute nightmare to run, requiring endless moderation and using up a lot of your time. If a manager, don’t you have more important things to look at, like supporting teachers with pupil behaviour?