1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting A Family and Getting Back Into Teaching

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by DramaFran, Oct 5, 2015.

1. DramaFran

DramaFran New commenter

What advice can you give a teacher looking for a part-time position, seeing as they are so rarely advertised?

I understand that there is a preference for continuity of staff and the benefits this has on planning and progression, however, there are no part-time vacancies or job share roles offered in a secondary school almost anywhere. I left my position as a successful Drama Teacher in 2010 and I undertook a permanent maternity cover for 4 months after being at home for 2 years with my first child and not finding any part-time work. These appear to be the only opportunities for women returning to work at present, covering other maternity leave positions and I think that it's too much work for a teacher and a mum to return to work on a full-time basis. If I am left with this as my next option, having now had my second child, then how would you recommend I juggle the teaching, planning and marking alongside my young family?

I am currently registered with 3 supply agencies in my area and I have had to sacrifice a large amount of money on deposits for nursery and childminders, in the hope that the supply work will be frequent. So far, I am working an average of 2 out of the 3 days I have childcare arranged for, and therefore, the money I earn is being put back into the cost of childcare and not for supporting my family. Two of the schools I have visited this term have offered me long-term, full-time, Drama and English positions, this week I was offered a full-time role with two split days teaching English in a challenging school and in my last placement 2 years ago I was mentioned in the Ofsted inspection for Outstanding teaching, so I am a very competent and professional teacher.

I really would welcome any advice on how to find part-time work. I have already sent letters to all my local schools with an up-to-date CV, as I mentioned, I am now doing supply teaching work and I have already undergone a maternity cover position. I was hoping to give myself a year to find something whilst I do the supply work, but realistically, i'm not sure that this is financially viable.

Thank you for reading my thread:

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Hi there,

I'm sorry you're having a difficult time finding a post.

The key problem is that there are not many part time positions to be advertised. Most PT posts are created for women who are returning after maternity. If they choose to leave, some schools will simply scatter those hours to other staff, to save costs. Sending letters to school isn't really a viable option - they won't create jobs for people if they have no need for them.

All you can really do is keep looking, and take opportunities as they arise.