1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starting a cake making business?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Joyous, Jan 26, 2011.

1. In the future I'm thinking that I'd like to run my own business, either selling homemade cakes (not fancy iced ones) and/or teaching people how to make these sorts of cakes. I may be wrong, but there do not seem to be a lot of people that make/teach how to make more 'ordinary' cakes.
    What do you all think?
    x

2. In the future I'm thinking that I'd like to run my own business, either selling homemade cakes (not fancy iced ones) and/or teaching people how to make these sorts of cakes. I may be wrong, but there do not seem to be a lot of people that make/teach how to make more 'ordinary' cakes.
    What do you all think?
    x

3. Stay out of my kitchen!!! [​IMG]

I am about to launch something similar! If you are not too close I will let you into a secret - try your local FE college and offer to run some short courses!
    A half day course where they can charge £30 per head and you supply all the ingredients is about the going rate! Although I would check your local area before you take that as gospel!
    I will probably run a few different ones at different perceived levels of difficulty.... I am just now discussing terms like who provides the cake tins etc, hopefully they will be able to do some of that from their normal kitchen stuff or I will have to change the types of cakes I will make until I have made a bit of profit!

4. Thank you for the advice! It won't be for a little while yet but I like making plans! Was partly inspired by an indian cooking course I went on where the woman running it had a purpose built summerhouse kitchen building thing in her garden. The FE idea is great as well x

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I've looked into making and selling cakes, however, you'll need a Basic Food Hygiene Certificate, the premises will have to be inspected by the Environmental Health Dept. The expenses in setting this up could be quite large. If you're going to teach people how to make cakes, you'll need cookers, equipment and ingredients. Good equipment as the cheap stuff doesn't last.

If you're making and selling the cakes, you must do it in a kitchen which does not have a washing machine in or any pets. You also have to be able to buy your ingredients cheaply enough to make it worthwhile, as cakes in supermarkets are quite cheap to buy, I know it's not the same but people will often just buy one rather than all the ingredients to make one.

Lastly the L2C does cover basic cake making so most people in the near future will know how to make cakes. Sorry to point these things out, but they are points which need to be taken into consideration. I do make wedding/anniversary cakes for friends and family but did look at expanding the hobby. Anyway, hope you manage to achieve it.

6. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

The cookery school at Betty's of Harrogate charges around £100 for a day course on baking. You go, girl!

7. Thanks for all the advice guys!

8. I have the rest covered as I will be working within FE catering premises.... but I did not know the L2C covered cake making!! And I asked the woman who organises it here..... Hmmmmmmmmmmmm!
    I may have a quick re-think. I am sure I could find a niche... if the chocolate lady can, I can! Honestly !!!
    Maybe muffins or traybakes or something to do with fruit... healthy (and not so healthy) puddings perhaps!
    Thanks lapinrose! More to think about - not least a different 'expert' provider to ask!

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Well it covers rubbing in and creaming, plus melting. Here's a link to some of the recipes, incidentally the cheese and courgette muffins are fabulous. I would focus on the unhealthy and fattening cakes!! So much of current Food teaching is all about Healthy eating and how to make recipes healthier, so I'm sure you could do a fab course on 'Naughty but Nice'!!

Ihttp://www.grainchain.com/Recipes/Default.aspx

10. I was thinking down those lines...
    Naughty cakes cos you're worth it and big tasting cakes that are easy enough to make, like banana breads plus...
    My next thought was to add some of those odd ingredients, like courgette in a sponge - the yummy (non) mummy market!! I know so many women who bought Harry Eastwoods book and have never cooked anything in it!!

So I will definitely have a re-think before I start, I'll even pass on the best/worst bits [:0]

11. I would go down the old fashioned route - cakes our grannies baked in the post war years. Calorific but who the heck cared [​IMG]
    Or do a German cake course [​IMG]

12. Which takes me right back to where I started!
    And you know I have a few German favourites, the office gannet wolfed down enough of my tree cake to make us all feel ill - he must have had about half a pound of what is one of the richest cakes I have evr made!
    What the he.ll. I'll design a few and see which the Short Courses lot manage to sell.I can feel a fruit and marzipan theme coming on around Easter!!