1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starters and Plenaries!

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by spafe, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Hi!
    I am currently undergoing a study of how starters and plenaries can affect behaviour management. After doing some initial reading I seem to have hit a brick wall, cannot find any decent books on starters and plenaries, what they are, why they are used and where they came from! I also cant seem to find any previous studies even close to what I am doing. If any body has any books they can point me to or any links it would be much appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!

2. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

Hi
    They are not aways called starters and plenaries.
    In America they are called bell ringer activites!
    Try a google search for that or look for starting / concluding a lesson!

3. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

After some more googling I have found out that:
    Starters are called bell ringer activites and plenaries are called sponge activites! [​IMG]
    I always thought that the idea of starters and plenaries came from literature in that just like a novel has a start, a middle and an ending, so too should a good lesson!

4. Thanks a lot for your reply! will do some more reading into this and see what I can find!
    Thanks again

5. Hi Hana,
    Whatever materials you can provide they will all help the study! thanks again for the help and support
    Regards

6. Hi
    you could try the book raising boys achievment. It has a section on plenary's but also discusses what boys need to learn effectively. It's a very quick and easy book to read. May help

7. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Leicestershire have a booklet here.
    I quite like 'Rocket up your Class' by Dave Keeling.
    Both of these are more on ideas than anything else but there is an Introduction/Rationale section in the Leicestershire booklet.