1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starter

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by vdraper21, Apr 18, 2012.

1. As part of a training course I have been asked to prepare a numeracy starter. I have an idea but not sure if it is any good. I thought students could be given a fraction each and then could be asked to find another student with a fraction with the same value as them (ie 1/3 and 2/6) then could ask them to move around and find a fraction with the same numerator and then denominator, could then maybe get them to order themselves from smallest to largest?
    Not really sure though - not even sure why I chose fractions.

2. As part of a training course I have been asked to prepare a numeracy starter. I have an idea but not sure if it is any good. I thought students could be given a fraction each and then could be asked to find another student with a fraction with the same value as them (ie 1/3 and 2/6) then could ask them to move around and find a fraction with the same numerator and then denominator, could then maybe get them to order themselves from smallest to largest?
    Not really sure though - not even sure why I chose fractions.

3. I have done something similar in the past but have used equivalent fractions , decimals and percentage. pupils find their group of equivalents and then order themselves around the room. this can lead to good discussions about which form of the proprtion is eaiest to use to order them, ie decimals and percentages are easier than fractions. also discussions on how to convert between them.

4. This could work really well. It's great to have pupils up and out of their seats, and having them all actively involved. You'd just need to think about: what if they don't have a clue about this? obviously you'd then use it as a teaching prompt but I just don't want you to be in a situation where they're all completely lost and demoralised.

I wonder if you'd be better having two activities in your starter:

1. An open-ended question that will help you see what they know about fractions - eg write down as many different fractions as you can in one minute (not great I know but maybe it will give you some ideas)

2. Your idea above OR - if you realise they don't know anything about fractions - a simplified version of your idea, perhaps with pictures of fractions to match - either with another picture showing the same fraction or with the written fraction.

Maybe you've been given more info about the group of students this is designed for so you know this would be okay. If not though, I'd say always start with a really open-ended type question so each pupil can answer - encourage them to challenge themselves - and you can get an idea of what they know.

Starters become easier to plan when you've taught the pupils before.

Well done though. Your idea is great.