1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starter ideas

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Gardening Leaves, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Can I please pick your brains, lovely people?

We're having people for dinner on Saturday and I'm clean out of starter ideas. We're having a rib of beef with a port and thyme jus for main. It doesn't help that one friend is a good professional chef and I have done some dreadful things,to him in the past...like do a blind bake for a tart and only take one of the two layers of greaseproof paper out before adding the filling!

All bright ideas gratefully received!

2. As a starter, I love the one I've pasted below. Delicious!
    <u>Black Pudding with Apple</u>
    Ingredients
    * 3 Eating Apples, sweet, peeled, cored and sliced
    * 30g Butter
    * 2 tsp Soft Light Brown Sugar
    * 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil, for frying
    * 8 Slices Black Pudding, large or small
    * 4 Smoked Streaky Bacon Rashers, cut lengthways into thin strips
    * 100ml Cider
    Serves 4
    Instructions
    Cut each apple slice in half. Melt the butter in a small frying pan, add the apple pieces and sugar and cook over a medium heat, stirring frequently, for 8-10 minutes, or until softened and slightly caramelized. Remove from the heat and set aside.
    Wipe out the pan, smear the pan with a little oil and fry the black pudding slices, in batches, over a medium-high heat for about 3 minutes on each side, or until slightly crisp. Remove from the pan and keep warm. Fry/grill the bacon strips for 3 minutes, or until cooked through and slightly crisp, stirring frequently. Remove from the pan, increase the heat, and pour in the cider. Allow to bubble until well reduced and syrupy, stirring to incorporate any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
    To serve, place a slice of black pudding on each plate, add a layer of apples, then repeat with the rest of the black pudding and apple. Top with the bacon strips and drizzle with the pan juices.

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

That sounds amazing but some people are squeamish about black pudding (silly peeps!).
    I'd always check first that my guests like black pudding and I'd be delighted if they said yes!

4. I agree BduJ.
    Another tasty starter is found here-
    www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/268633/Sweet-chilli-mushrooms-with-halloumi-cheese

Better check if guestslike mushrooms!!

5. Gardening Leaves

Sadly I can tell you with absolute confidence that I would rather have hot needles pushed under my bails than eat black pudding.

6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Thyme twice? I hope they like it...

7. Belle's soup trio was astonishingly good. 3 'shots' of wonderfully flavoursome gorgeousness.
    I love soup.

8. henriette

henriette New commenter

... I can fully concur with this although, as you all know, I do not generally like soup!

9. BelleDuJour

Why thank you ladies!

10. BelleDuJour

I'll eat your black pudding but I'll draw the line at shoving hot needles under your balls! [​IMG]

11. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

[​IMG]

12. Before rib of beef I would do something deep and fishy like a lobster bisque

13. Gardening Leaves

[​IMG]
    Crying with laughter here! The 'b', should, of course, have been an 'n'!!! Typo on my smartphone!!