1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starter Ideas for Food Technology

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by SarahJayne88, Jun 7, 2011.

1. We have 1 hour practical lessons in Food Tech, which are fine, but struggling to get a range of starter activities which students can do and still cook.
    Has anyone got any ideas to share which could be used.
    Would be appreciated. Thanks
    Sarah

2. We have 1 hour practical lessons in Food Tech, which are fine, but struggling to get a range of starter activities which students can do and still cook.
    Has anyone got any ideas to share which could be used.
    Would be appreciated. Thanks
    Sarah

3. One thing that I have used is laminated cards with three or so ingredients on them.Give a card to a group or pair and they have to list the different dishes they could make with the ingredients, can also do as a whole class activity by putting on whiteboard. I sometimes put a picture of an ingredient they could have leftover when finished and they have to list ways to use it up. e.g. bread when they make bread and butter pudding.

4. Identify pieces of equipment (could create your own images shot at unusual angles)
    Name the fruit / veg / ingredient
    Fit the ingredients they are cooking with onto the eatwell plate
    Have the recipe written out in the wrong order & they have to re-shuffle
    Give 2 safety points on the equipment they are to use that lesson
    Get them to quess the cost of the ingredients they are using (a favourite of mine) & then show them the actual cost (we have the Jenny Ridgwell nutrition programme which shows this)
    HTH

5. janharper

janharper Occasional commenter

<font size="3">I find that there is not enough time for a doing activity, so I prefer a thinking activity whilst they set up, then answer after I do the register.</font>

<font size="3">Jan</font>