1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starter and Plenary Ideas

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by cb21, Oct 18, 2008.

1. I am an NQT art teacher and wondered has anyone any good tips or know of any websites where you can get ideas for starter & plenarys. Any general ideas/suggestions would be helpful esp to use for observations. Many Thanks

2. I am an NQT art teacher and wondered has anyone any good tips or know of any websites where you can get ideas for starter & plenarys. Any general ideas/suggestions would be helpful esp to use for observations. Many Thanks

3. Hi

We have Word Rummy is this would help, although unusual for Art they would have to spell out Art names and techniques from a word list you give them. If you would like a set please e-mail me at coolrewardssupport@googlemail.com. I am performing arts myself and use these in drama and they work a treat.

Also our Art Department put together a book of starters for the whole year. And this works really well. You can fit 2 starters to an A4 sheet. E.g. a short contrasts piece of work in their sketchbook or a drawing copying exercise. It really did not take them long to put them together and they got a lot off google searches. E.g. Graffiti colouring etc.

Also it is worth remembering that starters have at least 3 possible functions:

1/ To settle the class so you can do the register etc.

2/ To further their knowledge if you want to

3/ To lead into a technique they are doing for the lesson

I would personally stick to number 1 as this makes your like a lot easier particulalry if the task is easy and engaging unless you are being observed.

Hope this helps a little

Peter [​IMG]

4. Thanks Again Peter, great advice! I will start looking for ideas today.

If anyone though can point me in the right direction of a website or has any examples that they can share in resources then that would be much appreciated.

5. I am also a NQT. I ahve quite a few websites that i regularly use. www.sycd.co.uk/who_am_i/explore/funsize.ht
    www.applications.e-gfl.org/e-gfl/secondarystrategy/index2.cfm? ( or just google secondary strategy)
    http://schools.norfolk.gov.uk
    planet science is a good one so is scibermonkey and squashed frog

www.webucate.org
    www.geographypages.co.uk has some good general ones
    Look up word searches cause there good for through the door stuff and i quite like using a plenary where you give the pupils 2 post it notes each. On one they have to write what they have learned and a question on the other.The pupils stick them on the board or a specific place in the room. You use the questions as next lessons starter.

Hope this helps

6. Hey Peter,
    I am an art and drama teacher in a secondary school. I am currently using "Thinking Dice" in Drama - they are fantastic! However I like the sound of your Word Rummy. Could you send me a copy of them or any other fab ideas you have?
    Tamsyn

7. Please could I have a copy of this also?

Thanks.