1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Started new job Wednesday - have missed January payroll - advice please?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by tom clancy, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Yes.
    Go to your employer, remind them that your contract is to be paid monthly, in arrears and that it is the clear responsibility of the Authority to ensure you are paid correctly and at the right time. Artificial deadlines for the convenience of the employer are no excuse.
    Do this all politely, of course.

2. Thanks for your reply. The school (LEA) will not give me the contract to sign until they receive the second reference. Do you think this is something I should take up with school management, LEA HR, or continue to liase with school administrative staff as up to now? The office manager has told me categorically it is impossible to include me on the January payroll; it seems to me that they are having their cake and eating it: if the delayed second referencedoes not stop me tutoring, it should not stop my salary. However I feel that I am in a very weak position.

3. Remind them that by paying late that under uk law they will (the school) be liable for any bank charges you occur by their failure to pay you on time. In fact you could ask them for the form that you need to fill in as after speaking to the bank you may need to claim for several hundred pounds due to all the direct debits that will bounce. Unless of course you can persuade the school to instead give you an advance and you give them a post dated cheque for when payroll eventually pay you.I

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Irrespective of signing the contract, they should be paying you for your work. If the second reference never arrives, they'd still have to pay you for your January work!
    Teachers are paid in their first month at a school even though hardly any of them see a contract for months on end. I once worked 2 terms at a school and had resigned before the original contract made an appearance.
    If they won't pay you in the normal way, insist on an advance of pay for January. They can pay it by cheque (they calculate an amount that is take-home pay equivalent based on your tax code) and deduct it on the official payslip in February where the gross pay will be for the 2 months.

5. Thank you for your replies, I feel much more embolded now [​IMG] I will take the matter up with management on Monday.