1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Started my new non teaching job today.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Sooz22257, Apr 16, 2012.

1. <font size="2">I am still lurking on this forum
    as I find it quite interesting and sometimes fun. I have just today started as
    a customer service assistant in a place called Chain reaction. I will be
    answering queries about orders and processing them either by phone or email.</font>
    <font size="2">I am really grateful to have a permanent
    job now and although the money is not great there are prospects of promotion
    ......eventually. </font>
    <font size="2">I was so excited and proud when
    I got my PGCE and when I got a long term well 1 year subbing even though it was
    in an inner city boy&rsquo;s secondary school. I actually loved teaching and I know
    It is hard work and very challenging but I am sad that I did not get to
    experience the feeling of having a full time teaching job.</font>
    <font size="2">I have to keep telling myself
    that all my studying was not in vain and that I have transferable skills and
    may be able to become a trainer in my current job. I am also going to tutor
    perhaps on a voluntary basis.</font>

2. You have lots of transferable skills. Don't worry. On a separate note, wanna swap jobs?

3. tutoring is a good idea to keep yourself in contact, some schools ask people to come in and do tutoring too - might be a way to make contacts. :-( sorry though, it really sucks to not be able to get a job after all that work

4. Thanks for the replies. I know I am lucky to have a job now and I know teachers have a tough time but I would liked to have got a teaching job. The job I am doing is answering queries about online orders both by email and phone its interesting enough at the moment but I can;t help thinking of how happy I was to finally gain my PGCE ah well....

5. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I feel your pain Sooz, as the others said just try and keep your hand in as well as you can, hopefully when the situation improves you'll be in the right place at the right time.
    Despite LOVING teaching I also had to accept other work due to being unable to get another post. Fingers crossed your new role gives you some job satisfaction and room for promotion xx

6. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

When I finished my PGCE many years ago there were no jobs in teaching anywhere in the region. It took years to get into teaching but I did get into it after having a family and doing lots of interesting and exciting things that were related to teaching. My advice is to build your CV maybe through youth work, voluntary work and that sort of thing.
    Soon, many of us will either have retired or maybe have got fed up, things will improve because there will be one of those periods where there is a shortage of teachers and teachers will be in demand and will also be treasured. It is the way things go round.
    References from any paid or voluntary work will stand you in good stead in whatever your future career path is.

7. Again thanks for the support. Unfortunately I am 55 and came to teaching at the old age of 50 through doing an OU course. I am lucky in that I have had a lovely career as Cabin Crew with BA brfore I took voluntary redundancy two and a bit years ago. So I just have to stay positive and get my head down and do this job. It was my decision to leave BA and its just unlucky that there are no jobs. I am going to look into tutoring or perhaps voluntary work in a school if they will have me as I will be working part time. I must stay positive as there are always worse things than not having a perfect job......