1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Started Early Took My Dog - possible spoiler!!

Discussion in 'Book club' started by cakeshop, May 21, 2011.

1. I have just finished this and enjoyed reading it, but having reached the end I feel I need to go back and read it again! To save me doing that, can anyone else explain to me what that last comment at the end meant - the one about the birthmark? It completely threw me!

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I found the end quite confusing - who was the child? Why was no-one looking for her? Why did nobody recognise her in the car?

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Maybe a sequel will explain all.

4. Do you think so? Maybe - though generally she seems to have an all new cast for each book. Where did the reference to a birth-mark in the shape of Africa come from?!

5. Hi,
    Like you I've just finished reading the book and enjoyed it. Having said that I'm not sure about the birth mark and obviously I don't know who the child is either!

6. the apprentice

the apprentice New commenter

l'm currently reading this book....and haven't got a clue what it's about!!! Read bits at a time ,rather than whole chunks..and l don't think that helped..not got a clue!!!

7. Loved this book. I finished it and went straight back to page 1 and read it right through again which I don't think I've done since I was a child. When Tracy gives Courtney a bath for the first time, she notices she has a birthmark in "the shape of India, or was it Africa." Perhaps Courtney was one of the missing girls that Jackson was searching for. She didn't seem to be Kelly's daughter. All the books seem self contained, as someone else said, so maybe it won't be explored in a sequel.

8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Intruiged by the birthmark thing, I've just googled it and found another forum on this book.
    Near the beginning of the book there is an episode where Jackson, presumably, is working with another man who searches for missing children. I missed this mention of the birthmark because it didn't seem all that significant at the time.
    'Mitch’s dossier charted height, eye colour, hair colour. Distinguishing marks, left arm broken at age five, small scar on left knee, birthmark the shape of Africa on forearm, little finger broken, two teeth missing, allergies, illnesses, missing appendices and adenoids and tonsils, X-rays, a scar like a crescent moon, DNA. Desperate little signs. Those missing kids were never coming back, that was the truth. All of them dead or ruined by now.”
    Jackson goes on to regret not finding the brother of a little girl who was returned to the rightful custody of her mother. Does the book actually say Courtney was a girl, we assume so because the child was wearing a fairy dress at the beginning, but I'll have to read it again now to check this theory.

9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter