1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Start up school in Kenya dilemma

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by Mawenzi21, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Mawenzi21

Mawenzi21 New commenter

I need some advice please. I'm moving to the Kenyan coast in August to set up an International Primary school. The Year 5/6 teacher is no longer able to fulfil this position and I am stuck! what with deadlines having passed etc. Any ideas of how I can recruit at such short notice? Thanks

ejclibrarian likes this.
  2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Teachers working abroad may not be subject to deadlines. Put an advert out there and see who bites.

3. MsNiChearuil

MsNiChearuil New commenter

Advertise in Ireland too-English-speaking teachers, high standard of qualification, proven compatibility with British Curriculum schools, teacher overflow there, you may well find someone who'll bite.

4. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Teachers already working overseas if they are staying at their current school have to sign their new contracts in December/January for the new school year. If they decide to leave they will job hunt between December and April. By March teachers have new jobs and contracts have been signed. It's very rare to find someone who wouldn't have a job by now.

And it's not like the UK where you have resignation dates. You sign on generally for two years at a time and can't resign until the December of your final contract year.