1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Start time

Discussion in 'Primary' started by emma4646, Feb 27, 2012.

1. I am a primary school teacher and due to a lengthy drive to work I get to school at about 8.30. Is this an acceptable time? I usually leave at about 5.30 and then do the usual few hours at home. I ask this as a colleague today decided to make a sarcastic comment about my start time.

2. I am a primary school teacher and due to a lengthy drive to work I get to school at about 8.30. Is this an acceptable time? I usually leave at about 5.30 and then do the usual few hours at home. I ask this as a colleague today decided to make a sarcastic comment about my start time.

3. Hi Emma.
    I get in to my classroom just 10-15 mins before my kids who start at 8:30am, then I work through all breaks & lunch (never waste time chatting or on gossip etc etc with other staff members) and ALWAYS leave at 4:15pm except Thu (4:45pm due staff meeting) and NEVER (only at report writing times then just 1 hour/night for 12 evenings over a 4 week spell due report writing) NEVER EVER take any other work (including planning/prep/marking/assessment/coordinator stuff) home. I have a class of 11 very bright Year 3 children at a Swiss private school (earning double what I would in the UK in the process) and no full-time asst to help me, not that I need one. The key is being organised and focused else you'll be in the class too long each day and your teaching will become ineffective as a result...whatever anyone else says.
    I am helped a little as my class have 45mins/day with a native French or Swiss-German teacher thus freeing me up with extra non-contact time, also my children leave at 2:00pm on a Friday so I have an additional two hours non-contact on that day and I am not required to cover playtime or lunch duties.
    There's nothing special about me at all, in fact my planning has become the model upon which many of my fellow staff now base their own. I only completed my NQT year in 2002 and quit the UK 6 months later as I could not find a full-time teaching post.
    Anyone who works excessive hours ('cos it's always been done that way) is talking rubbish to cover for poor time management and organisation.
    Tell them from me to, 'Wake Up And Smell The Coffee' PLEASE.
    Hope this helps. :) Mike

4. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

don't worry about your start time - you would have heard from the school by now if it was unacceptable to the school. The school start + stop times should have been made clear to you by now - not your problem if they were not. Assuming you are covered by the STPCD and are not on the leadership scale then directed time applies - see many, many threads about it.

5. I think the fact that you have half/a third of a normal UK class who by your own admisson are very bright and don't need any TA support, have extra non contact time on a daily basis, and finish early on a Friday helps you to be able to make this decision.
    You have a HUGE amount of non-contact time and a miniscule class. Of course you can decide not to take work home.
    I manage my time effectively, stay on top of everything to avoid getting bogged under, often work through lunch/break times to get things done and still need to arrive at 7.30 to have time to prepare everything fully for the day. 3 afternoons a week after school are taken up with 1:1 tuition, stafff meeting and SLT meeting which can go on until 6.30. If I didn't take work home with me, my children wouldn't have any planning or assessment for their lessons.
    It is a bit unfair to come from a school that sounds incredibly rose-tinted, and say that we should be saying 'no' to taking work home. Try an oversubscribed city school in challenging circumstances.
    You have 17 less children than me to plan for, to assess, to photocopy for, to create resources for, to differentiate for and to generally worry about. That makes a massive difference.

I got sidetracked but as for the OP - As long as you are able to do your job properly, sod them. People's lifestyles differ. I can't bear to stay ridiculously late after school as im shattered from the day with the children and meetings so my morning is my time to organise for the day - but others situations differ.

6. That sounds fine to me. I get to school fairly early - by 7.45 - and are no means the first to arrive. i leave about 5.15 and again are not the last to leave. However I do have my mid morning break and I do have about 30 to 45 minutes for lunch. We do seem to haev so much to do in my school and I struggle to get things done. I often work in the evenings but never on a friday night or a Saturday. Sunday, I allow about 3 hours for school work.
    If you are having successful observations, your children are progressing and you are in top, don't worry.

7. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Teachers arrive and leave (within the obvious constraints) to suit themselves and their home circumstances - family, distance, personal preference etc.. Whatever works for you!
    Take no notice of your grumpy colleague - life is too short!

8. I was always one of the later staff to arrive - but was always one of the later staff to leave. It's never been a problem, heads have always commented to me that, "Yes we know you're not in at 7.30 like the rest of us, but we know you work a good long while after we've gone home" - the only time it's ever been commented on was really dense fog and me being kicked out of the door with the early bird crew and told to get myself home safely! And I've worked in some schools where staff arrived at 7am so lots of room for comment to be made - but they were all larks who did their work in a morning to get away early, I'm most definitely not coherrent much before 8.20!
    If you've got a head who's a real pain in the rear and liked to do what my old teaching practice head did of sit with his office door open and a stopwatch pointedly writing down arrival and departure times of staff - then it gets a bit more unpleasant - but he also used to time who spent over 40% of their lunchbreak in the staffroom and have "words" with them about timewasting too... 20 minutes max and back to your classrooms minions!

9. As most of the other psoters have said I would not worry about it. As long as if you feel like you are putting in the hours and your pupils are making progress then it does not matter!
    At my school lots of people get public transport and when they get in is determined by what train they catch. Many trains only come every 1/2 hour so lots of staff members are getting in 10/15mins before school starts. The school accepts this and nobody ever comments on the time staff members arrive.

10. I do supply and have been surprised at how many schools actually start teaching at or soon after 8.30. When did this start to happen? It always used to be 8.55 or 9.00 start. I am doing a long term supply cover next term and have been TOLD I need to be in school by 7.30.

11. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

I hope they've calculated that and included it in the 1265 hours Directed Time - sounds a lot to me.
    Not to mention unreasonable/impractical/not conducive to work-life balance etc.

12. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

I think as long as your hours work for you and the school then it's fine. One of the best teachers I know never came to school before half 8. Even when Ofsted came she wasn't early. She did however always set up her classroom the night before, did any photocopying in advance etc. She was super organised but was not a morning person! She was always one of the last the leave at night and was often thrown out by the caretaker.
    I did it the other way around when I was teaching. I was always in rediculously early but I tried to leave before 5 when possible.
    Just one thing to consider is if you have parallel year group teachers. I used to work with another teacher in my year group who got in at 8.30am daily as she lived an hour from work. We shared resources and it drove me insane that I wouldn't get them until minutes before the children came in. We had a rule that we had to give them to parallel teachers the afternoon/night before but it very rarely happened in her case. I think it affected my lessons as I wasn't as prepared as I should be. It didn't take me long to just make all the resources which annoyed me as I was doing everything. I'm sure it isn't like that in your case but just something to consider.

13. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I am pretty sure Milgod was joking.

14. I would certainly hope so!

15. Hammie -I loved that advice! I think I will use it myself.
    I get to school by 7am - kids come in at 8:15 and register is at 8:25.(not sure how many other schools do this)
    I find the morning very long as we have a 15 min break outside and a 10 min fruit and milk break in the classroom when I read a story / talk about homework, then lunch is 12:15 by which time I am hungry. But the afternoon is shorter 1:15 to 3:00.
    I leave between 5pm and 6:30 pm depending on what I have to do, but still end up taking some stuff home. I job share so it's only for 2 or 3 days a week, I'm not sure I could do it full time.

I love being a teacher but the pressure seems to be on and there is no reflection/ down time the pace of classroom life seems to be getting more frantic the longer I teach

16. pigginkt

pigginkt New commenter

Haha! What a waste! I'd rather go home and spend time with my OH :)