1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Start of day activities

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Gerbils150, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Gerbils150

Gerbils150 New commenter

I am a newbie NQT in Year 2 feeling my way through my first year. I'd appreciate some thoughts and advice. Approx 80% of my 30 children arrive at about 8.40am with the others dribbling in before registration at 8.55am. This gives me 15 minutes to do something productive however I don't want it to be something where the later children are either missing out on new learning or for ever playing catch up. This term I am giving all children two literacy and at least one maths target. I would like to use this time for them to carry out very short activities to work towards those targets. Perhaps handwriting practice for some, or "think of two wow words beginning with d" for the highers. Hopefully this start of day activity will also help to focus what can be a rather "bouncy" class. Can anyone think of any pitfalls, better ideas or suitable resources? Thank you!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I put out things like jigsaws, pairs cards, threading, finger puppets and so on.
    All things that are easy to just dump on tables in the mornings and other children can join in with.
    There is a site called goodmorningchildren which has some great IWB activities, where children can work on wbs on the carpet.

In a previous year 2 class I rotated each day, something like:
    Mon: pairs card games
    Tues: jigsaws
    Weds: pair and trio reading
    Thurs: finger fun (threading, finger puppets, tweezers and chickpeas, etc)
    Fri: silent individual reading

I definitely never, ever leave handwriting or spelling, as children simply practise bad habits and mistakes. Both those need teaching and close adult supervision.

minnie me likes this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Depends on the age range of your children but suggestions from above look good for young Primary.

4. jillbaggins

jillbaggins New commenter

I make up little booklets to embed work learnt over the last few weeks. Eg addition, subtraction, challenge work, catch up work. They collect them themselves, TA marks them as we go along and give out certificates when they are completed (adapted from ******) Another idea is to have a famous painting, drawing etc... and have three sentence starters. I can see.... I think...... I wonder..... I have been astonished at some answers. It develops observation , inference and empathic skills. Good luck.

5. delma

delma New commenter

Any SPaG revision! I put up a powerpoint of different things everyday. I might put something like 'describe your partner using as many adjectives as possible'.

I also use this time to finish off work they might not have completed the afternoon before. I agree that leaving handwriting is tricky because it needs to be modelled.

6. delma

delma New commenter

Spelling is usually patterns we have covered together, but not new patterns.