1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Start of day activities?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by SmileySmiley, Aug 30, 2010.

1. I want to introduce start of day activities to my class this year so they can come straight into class and get on with something independently while I talk to parents, do the register, sort out dinner money etc...
    Does anyone do this in year 2? If so what activites do you do? Ihave a few ideas such as basic addition/subtraction/times tables, spot the difference, word unscramble, spelling practice, alphabetical order, silent reading but otherthan that Im at a loss. I want something that they do quietly so I don't really like the idea of games.

Any ideas?
    Doodles

2. Last year I had Year 2s and found a similar problem. I thought it was far too much to expect them to come in and wait patiently on the carpet for the others- even with a book.

I found doing a multiplication grid at the back of their maths books worked well. I started with 2,5 ,10 and then as they learn their own multiplication targets they added in the time table they were concentracting on, so I had some children coming in and doing 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10
    All I did was write a number eg, 7 on the board. The children drew the grid in their books with 7 on the top and worked out their sums.
    They eventually got really quick at their timetables and ended up doing a couple of grids in their books a morning.
    Also to stop to the coming and telling me everything first thing I left post-its on each table. Here the children could write down any issues they have or news and then they stuck it on my desk so I could read it during assembly time, normally consisting of, "mum left my pe kit at home". When one boy wrote down "daddy left home last night, mummy says he won't be back" I had the time to think about how to broach it with him, especially as he was a boy who I doubt would have told me so soon had he had to do it verbally.

3. I like the idea of multiplication grids. They will have ther own SODA book for these activities that will stay on the tables and all work will b done in these. Id like to do a different activity every day, so maths one day, spelling practice/phonics, spot the difference/or similar/word unscramble...I just want a lot of different ideas so they don;t get bored of doing the same thing every day!

I also use the Post it idea. I have a 'News' board (piece of card covered in black paper and sticky back plastic with a white border and a 'News' title cut form news paper) on my door and post its on tables. The children write anything they wnt to tell me on here in a morning and I look through either assembly time or break time (we dont have assembly every day).

Doodles
    x

4. We have a 'thunk' on the IWB - it is just a question that the children have to think about and come up with lots of answers e.g.
    Ways to say hello
    Things to do with a piece of string/milk carton/cushion/ etc
    Sports where you get your hair wet
    Things that are red/blue/yellow etc
    Ways to make 10 etc
    What does a monster look like?
    What did you see on your way to school
    Odd One Out - put 3 shapes, characters, words, numbers on the board and they have to give reasons why each one could be the OOO - Bart is the OOO because he has spiky hair, Homer is the OOO because...
    We start off just sitting on the carpet and talking to a partner about them whilst i'm sorting stuff out and doing the register and then share ideas before we start our morning sessions. I have quite a low ability Y2 class and it really gets them to have a think and justify ideas. You could have it so they write their ideas down in a book at tables which is what i did when i had older ones.

5. I just write something on the board and they know to come and get a whiteboard and a pen and have a go. I make sure I read it out with them all listening once because otherwise theres the children who havent got a clue what it says.
    I like the "Thunk" ideas above that are a bit more interesting, but I always just did something to do with maths or topic work. Complete the number pattern...think of words with the "oo" sound...etc etc. Its easier to just write something up on the board in the morning than to be setting up tables etc.
    Out foundation teacher puts keywords on the carpet and as they come in they have to take a word, and then talk to a partner or have a think about a sentence to put that word into. I think she started off with just trying to read the word and worked up to the sentence.

6. There's a great site which has a question each day - I'm planning on using this, but it may be a little too old for Y2?

http://www.sparkyteaching.com/resources/thinkingskills/hmmm.html

7. Thank you guys.. Some great ideas! I dont want to be spending time setting up tables either so just something like the ideas here are great. I shall definately be using them. I do think the posted site is a little old but definately something i could alter and use parts of. I love the Thunk post!

Any more...keep em coming, I'm gonna put a bank of ideas together!

Doodles

8. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

There's now a question each day for younger children http://www.sparkyteaching.com/resources/thinkingskills/bigquestions.php

9. Envyemerald

Envyemerald New commenter

The big question idea is a fab site - will def use that this year. We subscribe to http://goodmorningchildren.com/ which provides lots of thinking skills activities to use for a morning energiser. It only costs £12 per classroom if you but it in for the whole school and the activities change every week.

10. I've used 'Fink' cards with my year 3/4s http://www.finkcards.com/ We discussed a few together as a class first, before the children used them in small groups or in pairs. They began to come up with their own too.

11. helskie26

helskie26 New commenter

12. inq

inq

Mine (admittedly Y1's) like the boggle grids I write - I normally base them around a 'long' word and they get a sticker if they can find the 7/ 8 letter word. Obviously there are 9 letters in the grid so I tend to choose an extra letter that will help them to make plenty of words.

13. I also thought about folders but decided theres no need as they arent going to record that much. I started back onWednesday and so far it's been working well (just need to work on noise now). I've had really simple stuff so far...yesterday was drawing a picture of something they did over the holidays and writing a sentence and today was thinking of as many blue things as possible. Tomorrow Im doing 'How many ways can you make 10/20?). They have just been recording on whiteboards and Iv done a very quick feedback session after the register. I didnt think there was any need to keep this work so Im not doing books or folders as I planned originally.

14. Love all the great ideas posted so far. I used to do Question of the day (quite often curriculum related) where the chn had about 10 mins during register time to think of their answer and post it in a box. I then pulled out an answer and if it was correct the winner received a sticker, if not we had a chat about it. Might resurrect this actually.

15. Handwriting and punctuation are a big problem in my new class so I am simply going to write todays date on the board and a word from the 200 words. HA will write date, name and a sentence using the word in their handwriting books and LA will do same but just copy word. Simple but hopefully will reap rewards if done everyday. Will also mean I can register children quietly! (Hopefully!!)

16. zannar

zannar New commenter

My year2/3 class do silent reading. It gives them much needed practice, they are quiet so I can hear them when I do the registers. It also gives me time to read letters from home etc etc.

17. silver2003

silver2003 New commenter

I work in special ed and each morning my class come in and do morning activities until 9.30 such as handwriting, phonics, spelling and reading. This time of day is always the same and it works well like this as the majority of my class are high functioning autistic and work better with this system. Defo will use the web links though for other times during the day.