1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Start/End of Day

Discussion in 'Primary' started by col0101, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Hi everyone.

Just wondering what activities you do at the start and end of the school day in KS2?

What works best for you?

Thanks in advance.

cm0101

2. When I was in KS2 we always used to watch newsround first thing in the morning (even if just one story) and then we'd have a discussion about it. Sometimes we used to get some good debates going from just one story. It was good for speaking and listening but also great for children to begin to understand the world around them.

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Start - I tell them to sit down.
    End - I tell them to go home.

Seems to work well.

4. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

My Year 6s normally have the day's Big Question from this website on the IWB for them to think about while I do the register. Then, if we have time, we discuss it.

5. Mon-Silent Reading
    Tues- Maths Activity
    Wed- Silent Reading
    Thurs- Spelling Activity
    Fri- Times table Challenges

6. Pretty much this.
    Or sometimes finishing work.
    Only get ten mins before daily assembly though.

7. Same here.
    I let them chat quietly before morning lessons begin and, if there's time at the end of the day, I read to them or we play 'elevens' or similar before I dismiss them Upper KS2 pupils work SO hard at this time of year that insisting that they are doing something constructive in every spare minute seems pretty harsh.

8. Start: question of the day or a Maths problem or silent reading.
    End: I personally like to have a class book which I read to the class. Just because they are in KS2 doesn't mean they can't have a story. Link it in to the topic if possible. On supply I have seen Goodnight Mr Tom being read to Y5/6 for WW2 topic. There are some lovely books out there now. It's such a lovely end to the day.

9. Agree that it is important for KS2 children to be read to.
    Not only can they simply 'enjoy' a story but it is also a good chance to model good reading skills and for them to listen to a story being 'read well'. We don't worry about the comprehension questions at this stage (do enough of that in guided reading!), just let them listen.

10. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I still think it's important to discuss books in a degree of depth when reading at the end of the day. It doesn't have to feel like a guided reading session - more like a natural conversation. Simply because you're able to take on more challenging texts. You are freeing children from having to decode so they can take in much more of the story so it's a great opportunity to hit the higher order reading AFs. If it's like a conversation it can still be highly pleasurable.
    I agree wholeheartedly with reading to Y6s still though. One of the most important things a teacher can do, in my opinion.

11. Gareth-Brown

Gareth-Brown New commenter

I play a short game with them if there is time left at the end of the day. Usually something short to do with spelling words or numbers. Number Guess is a good one because you don't need anything to play it with like a whiteboard. you just give them clues like I'm thinking of a number that has two digits, is a prime number and ends with a 7 and then they guess :)

12. Start of the day....
    Coats on pegs and into seats, (5-10 mins)
    Register (5 mins)
    Assembly
    First lesson at half 9.

End of the day....
    Pack away from last lesson 5 mins before the end of the day.
    Any important messages for the next day (things to remember)
    Prayers
    Home

13. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Yep.
    me too. 9.00 "You can come in now"
    3.30 "You can go home now" (Door opens at 3.30.01 following HT complaining about children being released before correct time. (1 min)

14. Start of day I used to do a lot of admin-y type things that would take up hours of lesson time otherwise - so if I was going to need them to draw a table in their books for Geography later in the day when we were doing traffic counts or similar, I'd write instructions on the board for them to do the table-drawing part as they came in (saved the usual 20 minutes of "duh what is this ruler thing we have never ever heard of" eating into the actual lesson time later), or writing spellings in their book ready for us to go over them in the actual lesson... things like that.
    Or finishing off, transferring spelling corrections into their spelling logs and practising them.
    Otherwise I'd do things like generate ways to make a target number, quiet reading, changing reading books over, write a description of...
    End of day - generally not a lot - insist the classroom was left tidy (I had a class with utterly no respect for the classroom surroundings and if I didn't put my foot down very heavily on this front they took the mickey completely) and then I used to pick off the kids behaving well to send out first - couldn't do it table by table as there were so many resident pains in that class that I had to have one pain per table in order to have room to isolate them all!

15. Start: Change shoes to pumps, books and planners in trays, bookbags away, register and into assembly (all within 5 minutes.) First lesson starts at 9:15.
    End: Finish last lesson at 3.15. Tidy up and get changed for home. Give out reading folders, children put books and planners into them. Any reminders/letters. Go home. (Takes about 10 minutes for the whole process.)