1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Start again, without highjacking. What makes a great Headteacher?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by TheoGriff, May 15, 2009.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Nice one, NQT . ..
    Sideshow: What about the skill of being able to make a decision!

Knowing the strengths of your team.

Being able to delegate.

And the well known one of buying the right brand of coffee and running a enjoyable end of term staff get together!

2. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Yet more stuff to add to my "to do" list!

3. Like one of those delicious chocolates; slightly crisp on the outside with a deliciously soft centre [​IMG]
    PS I have a lot of time to philosophise but my spelling hasn't improved!

4. Today my headteacher role included:
    being a reader for maths test b
    feeding the chickens and putting them in their coup
    taking the gardening club, in my wellies and suit (very fetching) planting seeds and digging up raddish
    oh and my usual run in with social care

wasn't on the job spec, but what a way to spend a day!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh Tracey!
    I always thought you were near me in W London. But the school I had in mind for you doesn't have chickens . . .

6. Theo - I am inner city with the ringroad running alongside the school. fortunately the hens are not too free range!

7. LittleStreams

LittleStreams New commenter

I have been doing a placement in a secondary school for the last few weeks, and I am impressed with the school. The headteacher is an inspiration to the pupils. They all know not to get in trouble with him, but they are not scared of him when they are not in trouble either (does this make sense?)

He will talk to the pupils as he walks past them, engage them in conversation and show an interest in them. He is changing the school uniform for next year, and wants their input into what it will be, so they feel like they have a say in what it looks like, therefore would hopefully be a little more accepting of it.

He said that his priority is Pupil welfare, because they are the clients. They should be the focus of a school. This is a school in a rough area, so the pupils welfare is very important. He inspires a lot of pupils to work.

Now I am not sure from the staff point of view (I have heard a lot of moaning about him, but I have ignored it as staffroom gossip) but he introduced me in the staff meeting which I thought was great and he always says hello and asks how I am getting on. I work in another school where I hardly even see the headteacher, and if I do, he never says much. He doesn't talk to many staff apparently.

So I think that an interest in pupil welfare is important.

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You're actually helping them overthrow you and take over management of the school?

Or did you mean their 'coop'? [​IMG]

9. wonder if the children would notice the difference. Me +SMT running the school or their feathered friends.
    (shouldn't drink wine then go on TES as spelling goes to pot!)

10. Obviously simply my opinion so:
    A person who acts as a servant of the classroom teacher, the students and their families.
    A person who never uses the non-word 'professional'.
    A person who applies the rules about staff pay and conditions fully and with with fairness.
    A person who teaches at least 50% of the week.
    A person who takes their chance in the school car park along with everybody else.
    A person who isn't corrupt (see MP's allowances to get you started).
    A person who does not bully.
    A person who is not pompous.
    A person who stands still in assemblies, and doesn't talk and shuffle about.
    A person who clearly knows when contractual duties end and goodwill begins.
    A person who can demand teachers to work within their contract, but only asks teachers to work beyond it.
    A person who has the nerve to stand up to local authorities on matters of health and safety.
    A person who has the nerve to oppose OFSTED and the obsession with data, league tables and testing.
    A person who wants to feel and share the experience of staff and students within their school.
    A person who publishes their budget for all to scrutinise.
    A person who overspends said budget by at least 10% per year.
    A person paid at least £120,000 per annum no matter the size of the school if they can do the above.
    Thats all I can think of for now, I'm sure there will be more ideas.

<u></u>

11. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

From a bog standard teacher's point of view.
    I agree with many of the points already made.
    * Someone who is understanding about mistakes that are made and understands that we are all human.
    *Someone who helps you move forward when things aren't going as well as you'd hoped.
    *Someone who understands that 2 or more sublevels progress is not possible for some children rather than demanding to know why little Jimmy flunked his optional sats (after little Jimmy finding out that his older brother had been arrested the day before said tests).
    *Someone who does the things they say they will.
    *Someone who takes your concerns about particular children as seriously as you do and keeps you informed about things that are happening e.g. CAF, child protection.
    * Someone who has their office door open unless necessary that it is shut.
    * Someone who is seen out on the yard at hometime regularly.
    * Someone who isn't afraid to say no to parents.
    * Someone who understands that saying thank you goes a long way.
    * Someone who appreciates their staff and shows it in their manner and actions.
    * Someone who doesn't let staff take the *** with sick days but understands that everyone gets ill sometimes.
    * Someone who is not scared to teach reception to year 6.
    * Someone who understands the demands of all key stages.
    * Someone who keeps you on your toes but who you respect because they know their stuff.
    * Someone who is instinctive and who knows how people are feeling.

12. Slippeddisc - excellent post, agree with all those points for primary plus a lot of the ones above as well.

13. Perfect. I would like to just add that they must have a genuine interest in the pupils, be humble, wise - and have integrity. They do not demand respect from their staff - they earn it.

14. Consistency and Integrity

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I think that most of these posts can be summed up in two words: Respect and Service.

16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I like philosophical&acute;s point:
    A person who acts as a servant of the classroom teacher, the students and their families.
    The best answers in Headship interviews to the question "Why do you want to be a Head" tend to incorporate this idea, if not in these words.

17. someone who is actively 'inclusive' and promotes the health and well-being of their staff.
    Someone who is PROACTIVE when dealing with staff with disabilities, and not just hiding behind equality and diversity policies that look good and read well on paper.
    SLL

18. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

You could add the following:
    Servant leader
    Humble
    Encouraging
    Positive
    Honest
    Energetic
    Responsive
    Dedicated
    ...and that brings us to the issue of sheepdogs - Deputies anyone?

19. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Looks like you've been hijacked again Theo!