1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Start a teaching career

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by thalia1, Dec 1, 2011.

1. I obtained my BS in Chemistry in Greece and then I did my PhD in Chemistry in USA. Currently I work as a researcher in the University of Bristol. Now, I am thinking to change career and go into teaching here in UK. I know only a few things about the British teaching system. Could you please advise me about the first steps that I should make? Am I eligible to teach in private and state schools here? Do I need to contact NARIC? Do I need to do the PGCE, SCITT or GTT?
    Thanks,
    Thalia

2. I obtained my BS in Chemistry in Greece and then I did my PhD in Chemistry in USA. Currently I work as a researcher in the University of Bristol. Now, I am thinking to change career and go into teaching here in UK. I know only a few things about the British teaching system. Could you please advise me about the first steps that I should make? Am I eligible to teach in private and state schools here? Do I need to contact NARIC? Do I need to do the PGCE, SCITT or GTT?
    Thanks,
    Thalia

3. Hi Thalia
    As chemistry is one of our priority subjects at secondary level, it is excellent to see that you have qualifications in chemistry and wish to teach in the UK.
    You would need the equivalent of a bachelor's degree and GCSEs grade C in English and maths to begin teacher training and you can check the equivalence of the qualifications you gained in Greece and the USA through NARIC (www.naric.org.uk).
    Gaining classroom experience in local schools would be your next step.Course providers will look for this as it demonstrates your commitment to becoming a teacher. You would then need to choose a teacher training route. There are university-based, school-based and employment-based routes. Have a look at the TDA website for your options (www.teach.gov.uk) or ring the Teaching Information line on 0800 389 2500 for advice.
    You would need to contact private schools individually to find out about their requirements.
    I hope this information has helped and that you find teaching in England an enjoyable and rewarding experience.

Stephen Hillier, TDA

4. Hi
    If you are a fully qualified teacher in Greece it is possible that you will already be able to teach in England without undertaking additional training.
    Many countries in Europe, including the UK, have what is called a ‘mutual recognition' of one another's teaching qualifications. This means that if the GTCE consider the teaching qualification you obtained in Greece to be the equivalent of QTS they will allow you to register to teach in England.
    If the GTCE confirm that you can teach in England you should look to gain some classroom experience in an English school. This will help when you apply for teaching positions as it will show that you have an understanding of the teaching environment in an English school. You can find contact details for local schools at the following website:
    www.schoolswebdirectory.co.uk
    It would also be useful to familiarise yourself with the syllabus of the subject you want to teach. You can find information about the various national curriculum websites at the following website:
    www.education.gov.uk/curriculum
    I hope this information is useful to you, and I wish you the very best in your teaching career.
    Stephen Hillier, TDA