1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staring at the Sun... thanks NASA

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Nov 4, 2015.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

From the video description:

It’s always shining, always ablaze with light and energy. In the ubiquity of solar output, Earth swims in an endless tide of particles. Every time half of the Earth faces the Sun, we experience the brightness of daytime, the Sun’s energy and light driving weather, biology and more. But in space, NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) keeps an eye on our nearest star 24/7. SDO captures images of the Sun in 10 different wavelengths, each of which helps highlight a different temperature of solar material. In this video we experience images of the Sun in unprecedented detail captured by SDO. Presented in ultra-high definition video (4K) the video presents the nuclear fire of our life-giving star in intimate detail, offering new perspective into our own relationships with grand forces of the solar system.

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Either way it should give heliocentric religions a boost!

3. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I've just looked at bits of it (short attention span/lack of time)

Far out man! In all senses of the phrase!

(It is very beautiful)

lanokia likes this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Is something special @cissy3

Especially considering the clouds have been blocking it out for the last week.

5. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I have a GCSE in Astronomy and remember first seeing things like this for the first time. I never get bored of looking at things like this. The universe truly is an amazing place!

lanokia likes this.