1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Starbucks does good

Discussion in 'Personal' started by moonpenny, Feb 13, 2020.

1. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

catmother, sunshineneeded and caress like this.
  2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

If they paid their taxes we could probably afford a bit more help for trans people?
    Edit: and if you've got any leverage with Mermaid, you might tell them to tone it down. They antagonised a fair swathe of our staff with their "any question makes you transphobic" approach.

3. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Ivartheboneless likes this.
  4. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Ooh look at us, aren't we philanthropic! (Peanuts compared with their annual turnover for rubbish overpriced coffee in a boring plastic environment, with even more grossly overpriced sticky buns. Why do people use them?)

5. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Mermaids have come in for a lot of criticism. I'd rather not go to Starbucks, and donate money to the charity of my choice, which I do. I have nothing against transgender people but I do have issues with what Mermaids do. And Starbucks is an appalling company which isn't changed by their donating a tiny amount to an issue they perceive will make them look good.

6. Doitforfree

Why not skip the biscuit and give all the money you would have spent on it to charity? Then awful Starbucks get nothing, the charity gets more money, you don't eat the sugar and chemicals, and you get to choose the charity.

Nanny Ogg likes this.
  7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I avoid Starbucks anyway. And if they are going to start donating my money to charity on my behalf then I shall avoid them even more.

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It's a biscuit... buy it if you want it... don't buy it if you don't...

Drink at Starbucks... don't drink at Starbucks... your choice.

Unlike the BBC! :p

bombaysapphire likes this.
  9. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

If you don't watch the BBC, IPlayer or other broadcast stations live, you don't need a licence.

10. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

I doubt many women will be buying them.

11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Why not?

12. LondonCanary

Most women want to protect their identity, their spaces, their sport. See also the LGB community.

kittylion, Nanny Ogg, vannie and 2 others like this.
  13. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I don't like Starbucks but I love this ad!
    I was in Starbucks earlier this week, only the second time I've ever been in a Starbucks but I was killing time waiting for a train. I bought a mermaid biscuit and I'm a woman. I can't see why women wouldn't buy them. I don't get that. I do want to protect women's spaces and identity but that doesn't mean I can't feel empathy for transgenders. There's room for us all - we just all need to find our way.

14. LondonCanary

Good luck with squaring that circle.

kittylion, lardylady and Ellakits like this.
  15. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I feel a bit like @Bedlam3 does, but I Have Questions about certain things, which, if I made them public (on Twitter for example) I'd be called a Terf.

16. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Meh... I'm glad if Starbucks, or any company, helps any party having a less than understanding time (I don't mean the LibDems) but I just aren't a massive fan of Mouthy Mermaids. They go on about intolerance and judgmentalism but sheesh.

17. catmother

catmother Star commenter

For the record,I was not being naive when I asked the question. I wanted to see what @LondonCanary's objections were in black and white.

I feel the same as @Bedlam3. I understand there are various issues but as a woman,I do not object to people who are transgender.

In any case,I do like the advert.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  18. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

No reason to ever go into Starbucks unless you want to watch Guardian readers abusing the staff because their overpriced bean juice is too foamy or (not foamy enough} and they wanted that triple chocolate muffin, not that one, didn't you hear me? are you deaf? Let me talk to your manager!

19. LondonCanary

How do you mean?
    You don't object to trans women in women's sport.?
    You don't object to trans women on all women shortlists?
    You don't object to trans women demanding accèss to women's services?

20. Doitforfree

'Does good'?