1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Star Wars

Discussion in 'Personal' started by By_the_Shiny_Brook, Dec 17, 2015.

1. By_the_Shiny_Brook

By_the_Shiny_Brook Established commenter

I have never understood the interest. To me, it equates to the Fast Food 'drive thru', 'Friends' (that American sitcom), Chas & Dave, and the Ford Ka.

Am I alone in thinking thus?

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

it does nothing for me. We were too hard up to buy into all the merchandise when the boys were small. Was out with my friend who got very excited at a shop window full of SW "stuff" and says she still has all the things she bought her son who was obsessed first time round, He's 35 now with twin boys and she's hoping they will be excited by it all over again.

3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I always think of it as Cult, Bandwagon and Emperor's New Clothes. Once it gains momentum it gets more and more hype. It's a bit like Dr Who. It gives people a sense of belonging to something big and 'important' and being in with the 'in crowd'.

4. By_the_Shiny_Brook

That comes as something of a relief. Two science-fiction cinematic productions which pre-date the original Star Wars by a decade: 2001 A Space Odyssey (UK/US 1968) and Doppelgänger (UK 1969) are actually worthy of attention, and yet never spawned repeats, hysteria and mass exposure.

I can understand a child finding something like Star Wars attractive, but adults! It defies belief.

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

It's late youth nostalgia,

6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I don't think so. It is becoming more and more of a phenomenon for adults to get enthusiastic about essentially what is children's stuff. They think it's cool and edgy.

7. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I actually have no idea what it is.

8. By_the_Shiny_Brook

It's as though sex, sports cars and alcohol no longer exist.

Motherofchikkins likes this.
  9. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Ha ha. For me they don't. Sex is passé, I've always thought sports cars were daft and I am TT.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Loathe it, hate it... never catch me near it... would much prefer a sober introspective drama considering the plight of unhappy middle class people in Swindon. Now that's a seller!

marlin, sabrinakat and Lascarina like this.
  11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Ugh no! Anyway, I don't think there are any middle class people in Swindon;)

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Are there any middle class people left full stop?

But I disgress... Star Wars is all silly, glowing swords, magic powers, racist caricatures and poor effects... I'd much prefer a cuppa and some introspective prog rock. Or a thoughtful Jack Nicholson coming of age drama...

13. By_the_Shiny_Brook

Unobtainable perhaps as one ages.
    Good god no! Don't be daft. Open top, roar of the straight 4 engine, meandering those B roads is pure bliss.
    tr3.jpg
    The very thought makes my flesh creep.

14. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

lanokia likes this.
  15. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

No. Spent too many hours in ex Mr Lasca's Lotus Elan with sun beating down on my head or wind making my hair whip me round the chops.

And alcohol makes me ill now, though I used to enjoy it till I was about 50.

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Makes me ill too... drink a couple of bottles or 8 pints, next thing I'm being sick, falling over and can't remember stuff the next day.

So ill... :D

colpee and lindenlea like this.
  17. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

How terribly boring! I'd hate that. Keep trying though!;)

18. By_the_Shiny_Brook

No Mr.Lanokia. One would enjoy a pipe and a bottle of red wine along with some progressive music, not tea.

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

How about a nice Richard Curtis movie... all heart warming with sugary characters and unrealistic interactions in an over-romanticised setting designed purely to tug on the heart strings and make you blubbery [and not in the hunted by the Japanese way?]

20. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Whatever turns you on, I suppose. It was giving me palpitations and panic attacks, that I'd rather do without. I'm not dissing alcohol, lan. It just makes me feel too ill.

lanokia likes this.